Refurb macs only support up to 2gb of ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djnonsense, Jan 22, 2008.

1. djnonsense macrumors newbie

I was looking at the refurbs on apples site and check the info out on the macbooks and it says it supports up to 2gb of ram. I know the new models support up to 4gb so are all the reburbs the older models or is the info wrong?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

core duo intels can support up to 2 gb, pre santa rosa core 2 duos can support up to 3 gb, and santa rosa (current models) can support up to 4 gb.

you can read the macrumors guide about it here.

3. djnonsense thread starter macrumors newbie

so how do i know if the refurb ones have the santa rosa?

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can differentiate pre santa rosa core 2 duos from current core 2 duos from the processor speeds. if the speeds are 2.2 or 2.4 ghz, then it's santa rosa. if it's 2.16 or 2.33 ghz, then it isn't.

5. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I don't understand why they keep restricting the amount of RAM their machines will support. Is this one of their infamous artificial restrictions to try and force you up to Mac Pros if you want more, or is there an actual technical reason behind it?

Every 32-bit PC I've seen for the past what, 5+ years has supported up to 4GB of RAM (the maximum that 32-bit addressing can support). 64-bit PCs support something far in excess of that. Macs use the same hardware now, so....

6. djnonsense thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure? Howcome if u look at the macbook thats $1099 new, it only has 2.0 ghz but it can max at 4gb's.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Because it's on the SR chipset. Every Macbook since November has been on the SR chipset.

And for the record, the max ram of an SR book is 8gb, not 4gb.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

It is a chipset restriction on the notebook, nothing more, nothing less. Pretty much every other Core Duo laptop out there had the 2GB RAM limit, and every pre-SR Core 2 Duo had the 3GB limit. As for what heatmiser said that the limit is 8GB not 4GB... I really have no idea. I remember reading somethign that said that, but I have nothing to back it up since there are no (that I know of) 4GB sticks of DDR2 SO-DIMMs yet.

Anyway, the reason that the Mac Pro was the only system to get around that limitation from Apple is that the iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro all used the same chipset since they were/are all basically the same machine.

9. djnonsense thread starter macrumors newbie

well it looks like all the refurbs have SR chips now.