Refurb macs w/out sales tax: non-Applestore outlets?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bob-o-Link, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Bob-o-Link macrumors newbie

Hi,

After about a month of reading these forums, and doing lots of searches, I decided to join. The following is a question that I cannot find addressed anywhere.

After being a long time pc user - Linux & Windows (when I must) - I have decided to buy a 15" Macbook Pro. Like so many others, I'm waiting for the new ones to come out, but I want to have it in time for a 2 1/2 month road tour (I'm a musician) that begins in 2 weeks - so I may cave in and buy the current model. If I go this route, I would buy a refurb.

Here's my question:

Are there any non-Applestore online sellers that commonly have refurbs for sale?

My reason for asking is that I want to avoid paying sales tax, which basically cuts the refurb savings in half. This is based on New York City sales tax of 8.25% on a $1700 refurb 15" 2.2 MBP - $145.25 I believe. I'm comparing this to buying a new $2k machine from an online seller, such as Smalldog or many others, tax free.

So far I have found very few refurbished MBP's, and none of the 15" 2.2 (I don't want an older model), except at the Applestore. I spoke to someone at Smalldog (very friendly BTW) who said that they used to stock many refurbished machines before Apple started selling them at their own stores - now they (Smalldog) rarely have any. Is this true across the board?

2. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

Also consider the one year warranty and the ability to gain apple care for it. That may be a reason to pay more.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Although I don't have my magazine with me (it's in the office) I swore there were ads that had new and refurbs in it.

Personally I would only buy the computer from Apple. I know the sales tax is a pig but that's my personal preference.

4. Bob-o-Link thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what you mean here. "Pay more" for a new machine, or for buying from the Applestore (and paying sales tax)? In any case, I'm pretty sure that you're wrong in both instances. I know that the same warrenty and option for Applecare applies to refurbs. As far as buying from non-Applestore outlets: I asked the guy at Smalldog (smalldog.com BTW) and he assured me that, again, all the same Apple warrenties and Applecare options applied if I bought a machine from them. My impression is that this is true for any authorized Apple dealer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

you're right

6. Bob-o-Link thread starter macrumors newbie

If you find any ads for refurbs, could you let me know? I'd be very grateful. :)