Refurb MB, 12" PB or 15" PB?...

Which One Would You Buy?

  • Refurb MB for $1300

    Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Refurb 12" PB G4 for $1200

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refurb 15" PB G4 for $1350

    Votes: 3 20.0%

  • Total voters
    15

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
My 17" MBP got stolen yesterday, so I am looking into getting something else. Insurance will cover it, but the premium will go up, they need the police report, reciepts, blah blah. I don't want to bother anyways. My plan, by a nice, less expensive laptop now, upgrade next year. Holidays are coming up, I have a trip to Las Vegas planned, I don't need the expense of a 17" MBP on my head.

I was looking at the refurb store and was looking at what I can get for under $1500. What I need to consider is that most of these machines come with 512mb ram standard, and I would like to have atleast 1gb, so in the $1500, additional ram needs to be considered.

Here is what I found that I like:

Macbook Black Standard configuration - $1300 refurb price
12" PB G4 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 512MB Ram, 80GB HD, 64MB Go5200 - $1200
15" PB G4 1.67GHz SuperDrive (DL), 512MB PC4200 DDR2, 80GB HD, 9700 Pro 128MB - $1350

I have no doubt that any of those machines will serve me fine. I had a 15" PB before I bought my 17" MBP (My PB was the revision before the one listed about, no DL or DDR2 Ram). What I want to know is, if you were going to be upgrading one of those machines to a new MBP in the spring lets say, which one would you like to have to sell? Meaning, which should be worth most by spring?

I don't have a laptop or desktop for that matter, so I want something quick, any help would be appreciated.
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
I'd go with the blackbook, personally. The powerbooks are hard to sell now, let alone in the spring.

If you DO go for a powerbook, I'd suggest not getting it refurb from Apple, because they charge a lot more than what they are actually going for - meaning it will be even harder to recoup your costs (since you'll have started out behind, if you know what I mean).

You can get a 12" PB for around $800, sometimes less, and a 15" for probably around $1100, maybe more or less depending on extras or flaws.
 

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
746
13
Personally, I will be holding on to my 12" PB long after I get my octo-core Mac Pro...
 

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
513
5
London, UK
If you are planning on selling it next year I would go MacBook all the way - Intel based so much more futureproof in terms of selling it on.