Refurb MB vs. New iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tumeg101, Aug 30, 2007.

?

MacBook or iMac?

1. iMac

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. MacBook

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Hello, I have just recently decided to make the switch from PC to Mac, but I can't decide which mac to get! A refurbished MacBook(mid model), or a new iMac(low-end).

I really like the MacBook, but if I get it, it will have to be refurbished and I really would like to have the box, lol... that sounds a little odd, but it would be nice to have it... I like the MacBook for it's portability, but the only places I would take it are: Around the house, starbucks, and vacation(rarely ever).

I also really like the iMac, just for the slightly better graphics card, the nice big screen, nice big hard-drive(which I don't really need, I currently only use 40gb of my HD and I have had this computer for a few years)

-MB : Pros
    -Portable
    -Faster processor

-MB : Cons
    -Wont get real MB box

iMac : Pros
    -Big screen

iMac : Cons
    -Not portable
    -0.16ghz slower then the MB

It may seem like I am making you guys suggest the iMac, but personally I am starting to lean toward the MacBook, but every day I change my mind, that's why I posted this to make a semi-final decision.

--------------

I just noticed I forgot to add the stuff I will be using the mac for, don't think it would matter, seeing as both the macs are about the same....
    -Surfing the web
    -iTunes
    -iPhoto (will be using allot)
    -iMovie (not too much)
    -Chatting (using adium)
    -NeoOffice

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Macbook RAM isn't too expensive. Newegg has 2x1GB G.Skill RAM for about $85 shipped which is actually a great deal considering I had bought the same exact ones for over $200 shipped early January.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you don't need the portability of the MB, then get the iMac. They've just been updated, so it's a great time to buy.

Also, you would never notice the 0.16 difference in the processors.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

By the MB, mini-DVI adapter, and a big monitor...best of both worlds :D

Seriously the only con you have with a MB is that you don't get the actual box??? :eek:

5. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Lol, yup...

I would buy a nice external monitor, but I'm on a tight budget, thats why I need a refurb MB or low end iMac...
    And all I really would use\need is an external mouse, idc about the screen size... if I really don't like it, I can just hook it up to my current monitor.. which is probably 3 inches bigger then the MacBook lol

6. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I've said it before but I really could never buy a computer with integrated graphics, looks like I'm the only iMac vote so far.

7. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I really wont notice the difference, all of my PC's have had integrated graphics, and the MB integrated graphics would be a step up from my current one... sounds sad, but it's true...

EDIT: I just added the stuff I will be using the mac for, on the first post...

8. friarlicious macrumors newbie

Dumpster dive at Apple Store

Seriously, I was picking up my Mac Pro after a mobo repair and saw tons of Macbook boxes in the dumpster. Just make sure to wipe yourself after your lovefest.

Though my wife & Mom each have the Macbook, the iMac definitely gets my vote for the screen real estate and ergonomics.

9. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I just noticed I forgot to say what I will be using the mac for... so yeah, check the first post to see :p