Refurb MBA or refurb rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KyPie, Mar 22, 2015.

1. KyPie macrumors newbie

KyPie

Hello wonderful people of the internet! (or trolls, you do you I guess)

Anyway I have decided I will be abandoning my 3 year old windows laptop (except for gaming, it still does that good for some reason) in favor of a shiny new (or in this case refurbished) MacBook, I will be using it for:

Streaming video, surfing the web (forums, social media ect.), some light photoshop and video editing (I'm into photoagrahy), school/homework, definitely not torrenting things, playing the odd low graphics indie game/roguelike and possibly setting up a parallel to run linux or windows.

My main deciding factors are portability(I will be taking this to school), battery life(previous reason), RAM/Speed(for paralells, photoshop and games), storage(will probably download lots of stuff, however I could use a SD card, my old laptop or the family NAS for this).

The models I am comparing are:
    [​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------

rMBP pros (hehe) and cons

Pros:
    -Much more powerful than MBA
    -8gigs of RAM
    -Retina display
    -More ports

Cons:
    -Less storage than the MBA
    -Less Portable
    -Less battery
    -More expensive

MBA pros and cons

Pros:
    -Very portable
    -Amazing battery life
    -More storage
    -Cheaper

Cons:
    -Much less powerful than rMBP
    -Less RAM
    -Worse screen than rMBP

Note: The prices are in CAD, also while the two pictures above are the models I'm considering, if you can find another version for relatively the same price that is better suited, feel free to post them down below, I also want this computer to last for at least 3-4 years.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

To last 3-4 years, I'd suggest saving/stretching to the 2.6/8/256 rMBP.

If that's impossible, get the rMBP - the RAM and CPU mean it is more likely to be useful down the road, and you can use external storage, whether in the cloud or external drives. The rMBP also seems to hold resale better.

3. KyPie thread starter macrumors newbie

KyPie

Will the battery wear out after a year of use though? I need at least 7+ hours of battery consistently, that is why I am considering the air (plus the air is easier to lug around)

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Battery will last more than a year.

Portabilty is equal - rMBP is a bit smaller; MBA is a bit lighter (about 8 oz).

5. KyPie thread starter macrumors newbie

KyPie

Based on the uses above I was wondering if a 8gb MBA would be the best choice

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Apart from the VM's

You can do that on an ipad.

Just choose whichever you want.

I would personally go with the pro just for the screen it's awesome.

Only you can decide on disk space.

You have got the pros and cons spot on so, it is impossible to advise you really as no one can tell what you require or desire more.

4gb of ram will probably be fine unless you are using VM's, but remember you can boot camp that and with fast restarting on ssd's it's not to much of a hassle.