Refurb MBP 13 (June 2009) with Factory 256GB SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeACmdLV, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. MikeACmdLV macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    Location:
    Nevada
    #1
    When this config appears in Apple Online Refurb Section, it disappears quickly (popular!). I purchased one, currently unopened (!!), and am still in my Return Window. I am concerned by the SATA controller issue, and lack of TRIM support (so far) in Mac OSX, since this config has the SSD- both of these performance/reliability issues directly affect the currently still expensive option of choosing SSD, which I am willing to pay, but only without these or other significant problems.
    (I am also aware that the Intel SSD's are higher performance, but I like to play it safe and stay with the Factory options)

    I am of course excited about the imminent MBP revisions with the new Intel processors (i3, i5), but am always hesitant to buy Revision A, with it's inevitable initial release bugs.

    If the Refurb MBP I currently have did not have the SATA controller issue (unstable with SATA II so firmware currently downgraded by Apple to SATA I), then I would just tear open the box and enjoy it for the next 1-2 years and wait for Revision B-C of the new i3-i5 processor MBP before the my next upgrade.

    So I would appreciate advice-

    KEEP the Refurb MBP 13 with Factory SSD, with the known SATA controller issue and lack of TRIM support (in OSX at least) but otherwise a configuration that has seen several revisions, or

    RETURN it and await a soon-to-be-offered hopefully significantly improved
    MBP 13 (with Revision A bugs undoubtedly but less problematic/improved implementation of SSD, which I definitely want as a Factory option)
    A big plus for me would also be a new option for built-in Blu-Ray drive
    (at least ROM) for me to entertain my kids on the road with our extensive Disney BluRay collection- any thoughts if/when this option would be available on MBP 13? (I am really tempted by the Sony VAIO Z-series with this option, but do not want a Windows only machine)

    (I intend to equally partition (BootCAMP) the SSD for Mac OSX and Windows- Vista initially as I have a full retail version, later upgrade to Windows 7)

    Thanks for your insight into this decision I need to make!
     
  2. njean777 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #2
    if you dont care about waiting then i would wait and see what upgrades come for the new laptops.
     

Share This Page