Refurb MBP 13", old MBP 15", or Intel Core i7 gaming PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stephen Dowling, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hello everyone,

as you can probably tell from the title, I'm in a tough situation. Well, at least it's tough for me. Here's the deal: I'm willing to spend around 1,100 without tax on a refurb. 13" MBP, the '07 15" MBP, or building my own Core i7 gaming computer.

I can't decide.

I love OS X, but the higher end iMacs are too much money for me. I'm only 15 years old and if I want something expensive, then I have to buy it myself. If I go the Apple direction, then I would prefer a laptop. I love portability, but I can easily live without it.

However, I'm also very power hungry. :rolleyes: I really would like to build my own core i7 machine that will kick the crap out of any iMac and run right behind a Mac Pro.

I'm stuck in this situation, and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. I also don't have a computer because I sold my UMB this past Wednesday. I originally sold it to buy a 13" MBP, but then I started looking at all of my options.

I'm really sorry if I come across confusing, but I would like for you all to help me decide.

Thanks!:D

2. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

wow..u r a total mess!!! :)

maybe u need to really sit down and think what it is u r exactly looking out for...if it is gaming....i suggest u build ur own mutli core system..as none of the other systems can hold a candle to the i7 multi core system

the 2007 MBP is good...i own this machine..it comes with 8600M GT...which is a good card ..BUT....it apparently is a time bomb...it has a high failure rate...so if u r buying a old one..more power to u!!

the 13 MBP is not for gaming....the 9400 in it is not good enough for serious gaming....but its a damn good portable machine....if i were u....i would buy the brand new 13....and a PS3....:)..i like to keep responsibilities separate....

all the best with your purchase!!!

3. JCP21 macrumors member

If you want gaming build your own pc, if your looking at using it for other things condiser a mac [​IMG]

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need power? Do you play a lot demanding games like GTA IV and Crysis? Making a Hackintosh is always an option because then you will get the biggest bang for your buck...

5. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

hmm...but would a hackintosh offer him peace of mind with the whole driver mismatch, software update an all....?

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lets face it. macbooks are generally only for 'normal' usage like internet browsing/chatting/etc. if you want to do more than this (and it sounds like you do), build a real computer.

believe me, if you buy a mac you may be wow'ed by its 'prettiness' for a few days but then you realize you basically can't do anything interesting with it.

7. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

That is exactly what is getting to my head about building a Hackintosh! Plus, if I'm building a desktop, I'm going all out core i7.

Thanks for all of your replies!:apple:

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Build the Core i7 machine and dual boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Just be prepared to rely on Windows 7, in case an update breaks your Hackintosh (or some other unforeseen hack complication). Its relatively easy to build a nice hackintosh nowadays, with the right hardware. Check this out for more info - I'm just not sure about Core i7 in a hack right now, though...

EDIT: The Core i7 processor should be an issue, its the motherboard and chipset that are the biggest deals.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd go with a hackintosh, but don't drop $1,100 on it. Instead, use last generation hardware. I did that last summer and was able to build a decent gaming machine (nothing fancy, but it works) for $350.

Also, remember you'll lose the portability if you get a desktop - I don't think you'll need the portability yet though, I didn't consider it a necessity until college.

Also (again), do NOT get the '07 Macbook Pro. the nVidia cards are failures waiting to happen, and if there's no warranty, it's potentially throwing away $1100.

Personally, if I was in your situation, I'd spend $850 on a desktop, and put the rest into savings.

If you are going to build your own, here is probably the most important thing to remember. Buy what you need for today, not what you'll need for tomorrow. When you do need the extra speed/storage/etc you'll be able to get much more for the same price. :)

Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I priced out a nice hackintosh rig the other day, including TWO 23" Samsung monitors, for $900. I don't have the specs in front of me, but it included the case, power supply, Gigabyte motherboard, Pentium Dual Core E5300 (I'm going to overclock it), 4GB of RAM, two 500GB system drives, one 1.5TB data drive, a DVDRW and DVDROM, Geforce 9500 1GB, and a gigabit network card (the onboard won't work in OS X). All of the stuff was from Newegg. The monitors are $200 a piece, so that's about $500 for the computer, IIRC.

11. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

get a macbookpro 13 and a ps3 or xbox lol [​IMG] this is gonna be probably the one and only time i'm going to say this though, but if you are a serious gamer, get the i7 windows build... who knows, it could be a hackintosh one day

12. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I was in your situation. I went for an Xbox 360, MacBook (13") and an external monitor. You get your gaming PC through the Xbox 360 (I went from custom built PC to 360, its great), the 15" MBP + more through the external monitor, and you actually have the 13" MBP.

:D