Refurb MBP 15" 2012 vs Late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emptysands, Oct 28, 2013.

1. emptysands macrumors newbie

Looking to jump back into OSX from Windows.

Refurb prices are obviously quite good at the moment, but I can potentially access edu price via my wife. So the prices work out pretty similar.

I'm comparing a top end 15" model vs a refurb mid 2012 model. Basically:

2.7 GHz (i7-3820QM - ivy), 16GB, 768GB SSD, HD4000+650M/1GB
    vs
    2.3 GHz (i7-4850HQ - haswell). 16GB, 512GB pciSSD, Iris Pro+750M/2Gb

The Geekbench numbers for the 2.3GHz Haswell don't seem that much more than the faster 2.7GHz Ivy.

GPU performance is potentially similar, hard to say until more benchmarks come out. Although the HD5200 will be far better than the HD4000, I'm not sure how much effect this will have on battery performance.

Is the extra storage/refurb worth it vs faster ssd/iris pro/newer system?

Any issues with the older models?

2. tinnyms3 macrumors newbie

If I were you I would get the haswell. Much faster SSD, faster iGPU for day-to-day tasks, overall bit more responsive than Ivy, with longer battery life.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

If I didn't have access to my buddy's 'friends and family' discount, I would be taking a serious look at a refurb 2012 machine.

The $400 price difference is greater than the difference in performance, IMO.

That said, I'd still have an issue with dropping 2K+ on a 1.5-year-old computer.

5. emptysands thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got the same feeling.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the 1TB upgrade. Here in NZ, the price difference on edu discount ($700) is about the same as buying a separate 512Gb 840 Pro.

Lets hope a good set of benchmarks come out soon. Then I can decide if it's worth getting the top model and using it as a desktop replacement. Or if the more portable 13" is good enough for what I want.

6. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Almost always I would recommend you getting the newest processors, but sometimes refurbished sections have some unbeatable prices.

If the prices are roughly the same in your situation, I'd get the Haswell.

7. darkenedhue macrumors newbie

I just got the same 2013 spec as yours and my GF has a similar specced 2012 machine. My two cents is think about future proofing yourself, as in here are the features of the 2013 model that you won't be able to upgrade if you go for the 2012 refurb:
    Read/write speeds of the SSD
    TB2
    802.11ac speeds
    HD 5200 vs HD4000

The last two for me are decision makers in themselves. Between our two machines (both Mavericks) the iris pro is way smoother in web browser scrolling and thus, the system doesn't switch to the discrete GPU- this is where you get a lot of your energy savings. Also expect the gap between these two to widen over time as graphic requirements of apps and web content to increase.

In a few years time I think .11n speeds will feel like dialup- so better to have the hardware to support future speeds!

8. emptysands thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not entirely convinced that the difference in speed between the sata and pci ssd is going to be that obvious/important.

The iGPU vs dGPU vs web user experience is very useful comment. Thanks.