Refurb MBP 15" - Buy Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moonchilddave, Jun 14, 2012.

1. moonchilddave macrumors regular

Have never gone the refurb route - but I've seen pretty positive reviews from other people who went that direction.

My question is, how long can I wait before it's too late and the deal is gone?

The specific one I am looking at is: http://store.apple.com/us_epp_55499/product/FD318LL/A

I'd prefer to be able to purchase it outright - but it may be a month or so before I have the funds to do that. I actually just got out of debt today, and don't want to take a step backwards. Feels kinda nice not owing anyone anything. :)

2. Laco macrumors 6502

Congratulations on being out of debt. In general, there will always be refurbished models and the longer you wait the better ones they will have. If you wait a month something will be in the refurbished store. Will it be exactly this deal, who knows, but it will be something and it is very likely that it will be at least as good as this.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

They will have a pretty regular stock of those for the foreseeable future. After a couple of months they may go out of stock, but they'll eventually make their way back in there. As of Monday they were still selling refurbs of the 2010 model.

Congrats on getting out of debt. You are in a pretty cool fraternity being debt free. Agree that it would be very silly to jump back into it the day you get out. Have some patience on this....the stock will be there waiting once you've saved up the cash.

4. jeffh macrumors member

The 2011 MBPs (sandy bridge) ran hot and didn't have that great of battery life. If I were going to do this I'd wait a few months until apple has *2012* refurbs in the store - they might be a touch more but better to get the latest tech. I'd also get the higher rez MBP screen ("high rez" - not "retina" obviously).

Buying refurb from Apple is no big deal at all - a great product.

5. moonchilddave thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I was looking at that one was mainly for the quad-core i7, which I heard outperforms the newer MBP model. Retina is out as I still have a need for the ODD and additional ports.

When I do buy, I plan on getting the AppleCare as it's come in useful for me in the past.

I'm currently on a late 2008 white MacBook where my ODD has pretty much gone up. Rather than buy a replacement drive - I took it as a sign to upgrade when I can. :)

6. moonchilddave thread starter macrumors regular

As for battery life - not a huge factor for me either as I'm usually plugged in.

7. moonchilddave thread starter macrumors regular

I owe a lot of thanks to Dave Ramsey for helping me get a plan to get out of debt. It works!!!

8. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

I purchaced my Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7 20 minutes ago:)

I believe it was a steal.
    Congrats on gettin outta debt!

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

Was considering the same as I always felt the 15" screens looked great.

Then I demoed a retina Pro today :)

10. Risasi macrumors 6502

Ran hot? Not great battery life? Say whut!
    I've had an early 2011 13" MBP, an early 2011 17" MBP, a late 2011 17" MBP and now finally a late 2011 15" MBP. All of them got a pretty consistent 6-8 hours. Running at 1/2 - 2/3 bright. Multiple browsers, Skype/Hipchat. A couple RDP/CoRD sessions, Cisco VPN tunnel. Hipchat and Parallels would knick me an extra hour or so of battery life.

11. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

Now, that's weird