Refurb MBP - Battery/Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brl25, Oct 22, 2008.

1. brl25 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I just got a refurb MBP 2.5 ghz with 512VRAM. I am having some issues with the battery and sleep. Often times the computer will stop recognizing that there is a battery, even when it is charged (black X appears in battery indicator). Furthermore, when i put the computer to sleep (on battery power) the sleep light will turn off after about 30 seconds and sure enough the computer has lost power and turned itself off.

The battery works well when unplugged and lasts for 4 hours or more... it's just sometimes when its plugged in the battery isnt recognized (its powers of if you unplug the magsafe during these times) and it wont sleep while on battery power.

I have tried re-seating the battery, calibrating the battery, and resetting the SMC. I have the latest software updates including battery update 1.3.

I'd greatly appreciate any help or experience you might be able to share. From the searching Ive done it seems like taking it to an applestore and having them replace the battery would be the solution, however the applestore is in Vancouver which is a few hours and an 120$ ferry ride away.

Thanks!

2. gorebeast macrumors newbie

gorebeast

you could experiment with 3rd party Sleep programs/widgets

search for: deepsleep or smartsleep in google

however, from what you were saying about the system not even recognizing the battery...leads me to think that perhaps there's a hardware failure in the connection from battery to mainboard

:( you'd think the apple refurb team would catch something like that?