Refurb MBP Experiences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FlynndelAmitri, Jan 19, 2008.

1. FlynndelAmitri macrumors newbie

Hey all,

First off, Im considering of purchasing a refurb MBP 2.2ghz 15", however I have "wet feet" towards the situation. There is only a 200$ difference between refurb and educational price and I always feel safer with "new" instead of "used", but I've heard rumors that refurbs are just as good if not "better" than new from Apple because they undergo a rigorous evaluation.

Does anyone have opinions? comments? past experiences with refurb macs?

Would you buy new, or a refurb if there was only a $200 difference?

And would a refurb MBP be just as good as a similar new MBP (and more importantly last just as long)?

Thanks all.

2. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I bought the refurb in August and it's been superb - excellent condition, flawless performance, amazing machine. I could have gone with the EDU discount but $200 is $200. (BTW, my MBP was less than a month old when I got it). Go for the refurb - it has the same warranty as a new laptop and it's already been broken in by Apple techs.

I got my video ipod refurbed too. No problems whatsoever.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I bought my refurb MBP in April. Flawless -- no scratches, scrapes, dead pixels, and nothing mechanical has gone wrong with the product. Also, since the refurbs go through a QA session with an actual Apple tech, rather than with a factory worker overseas, there's a better chance that your machine will have been put through it's paces and come out the other side will top grades.

I saved more that $200, but Canadian prices are already higher. Refurb for the computer, use your education discount for AppleCare and accessories purchases, and you'll be set.

I will purchase a refurb again.