Refurb MBP (last gen) Return

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nosfera, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Nosfera macrumors newbie

Hello guys I bought a refurb 2.5 ghz MBP from apple.com 3 days ago and I received the notebook yesterday. I ended up very disappointed at its performance and build quality as well as the fact that the nvidia gpu might fail in a year or two, so I am planning on returning it. It was my first mac and no offense to you all, but I don't think I'll be coming back.

Now I dont mind paying $150 for the restocking fee but I was wondering if I could get away with pretending that the box was never opened. It is a refurb after all and came in nothing but some styrofoam and a cardboard holder that contained all the extra accessories. I also did a fresh reinstall of Mac OS X.

Lemme know. Thanks.

2. jTreu macrumors 6502

what was wrong with it build quality wise? I got a 2.5 refurb too and it was flawless. As far as returns I think youll have to pay the restocking fee.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The GPU MAY fail. It's covered, and if you get Apple care then there is no reason to worry. Also I don't know what you look for in build quality, but the pre Oct 14 MBPs have some of the best build quality. I have had mine for over a year and it is totally fine. The performace is also wonderful.

You can try and trick Apple, but they will know and you will be charged the restocing fee.

Sad to loos you, but that means more good MBPs for the rest of us.

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I am very curious too about build quality. I am thinking of getting a refurb. If it is poor quality, they should just do a full refund.

5. Nosfera thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure? I mean I repackaged the box and it's pretty much flawless. Looks like the same from when I got it yesterday. When submitting my return report, I made sure I told them "Box unopened" to further emphasize that I "didn't open the box." I don't know if Apple will fall for it. But I'm a poor college student and $150 is a lot.

And about the quality...exterior had minor scratches, display didn't live up to my expectations (yes it was glossy) and other minor things like how I realized I can't live with only 2 usb ports. Oh and the computer runs burning hot from just web browsing for a 2-3 hours. It may have just been the unit I received though.

Anyway the MBP just isn't right for me. :(

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

So return it honestly, is it really worth it attempt to commit fraud to save a restocking fee? Some people's children...

7. sk47 macrumors member

yeah be honest, you were the one that made the decision to buy it in the first place. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to receive a product that has been opened before and touched by previous owners, but sold as an unopened product.

btw, I would say you are making the right decision in terms of returning the old mbp (buy a new one!)

8. JC0205 macrumors newbie

I actually bought one the 2.4GHz refurb macbook pro a few days ago and just returned it. Just call them up and let them know that you did not know about the GPU defects and tell them that you can't take the risk of having a faulty computer as a student. Thats what I said and they refunded everything and the return shipping was even prepaid. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

p.s. the new macbook is soooo nice, much better in build quality and resolution! Definitely worth it.

9. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Refurbished are bought online and you need to mail it back for a refund. I forget how many days you have to make a full refund, but they will tell you if you call Apple. Can't imagine what would be bad. They go over everything and basically rebuild the whole thing. My first was a refurb. MBP. AWESOME. My son is still using it. Beautiful machine.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Just tell them your worries and they will take teh machine back.

11. ptjh macrumors regular

Yes :p Moralists in the capitalist age we live in LOL. Apple would screw you for every penny you have if it could (if they haven't already). Why shouldn't you be able to return a product if it doesn't live up to the hype the comapny itself created?

And another thing. When will the consumer benefit momeonenetairly from recycling? You paid for the product and it's materials and box so why why not get the gain from it? Someone's making moneyfrom this and i'm non ot happy about it - damn government! Making a profit on 'restocking' is outrageous for product they created, hyped and failed to meet expectation on! Shipping & admin costs are fair enough at a push.

12. Nosfera thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you heard? The economy is going down the toilet. Yes it is worth committing fraud to save $150. That's like a month's grocery bill for me. :D

13. ptjh macrumors regular

;) fraud...such a blunt legal term desvised for its manufacturers own ends. Opening a box and not admitting it is now considered frauld LOL It may be true but it's rediculous!

14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Its absolutely fraud. You're LYING to receive MORE money than you are entitled to thus its STEALING (ie fraud). How hard is that to comprehend. What world do you live in that fraud of $150 is "rediculous"?

Hey OP, do whatever you want but its your character and you have to look yourself in the mirror. I guess its ok to go to the grocery store and steal your food since the economy is a bit tight. :rolleyes: You're hardly living in the great depression if you're purchasing APPLE computers. ...or maybe that can be your excuse when you're returning it. Tell them you thought you were buying $2,000 worth of apples (cause times are tough) and didn't mean to buy a computer. :p