refurb mbp or new mb w/ free touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macrumorsMaster, Jun 1, 2009.

1. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I'm debating whether to get one of the old refurb mbp's 2.4 or 2.5
    or to get a new mb w/ a free touch(or maybe even a refurb mb)

I was just considering the 2.4 'cuz it's 1349, an okay price for a dedicated gpu. I was thinking the 2.5, just not sure an extra $150 is enough reason to go for double the vram, and a little bigger hd, and an eensy weensy faster processor.

I also have been re-reading the nvidia 8600 graphics problem, and that apple has extended the warranty period for it, just not sure whether it's worth it to risk it or not.

Here's what I'll be doing w/ my mac:
    Editing shorts for the foreseable future/hopefully features in the unforeseable future :p
    -Which means Final Cut Studio(mostly just straight editing, some use of Livetype), though I don't know how much I'll use Motion, as I've learned AE, and not sure how much I would use motion as I wouldn't be editing big budget sci fi/action films :D mostly drama/comedy/tragic shorts/films right now.
    -Adobe CS4 (mostly photoshop/illustrator/ae, some indesign in near future if have time)
    -Web design(dreamweaver)

Thanks in advance.
    :eek:

2. punjabimc macrumors newbie

Thing is it depends where you are. Like here in the UK, the difference between refurbs and new laptops(with educational discount) is pathetically little so its pointless getting a refurb macbook pro. It would be better to get a new one, sell the touch and end up with a new mbp cheaper than the refurb.

Otherwise in general, i guess it just comes down to 2 points:
    1. Macbook vs macbook pro? What suits you better
    2. Do you need the touch?

Refurb store is down in UK currently so cant really quote prices. Get the base MBP and sell the touch. Its going to cost you slightly more than the 2.4 macbook then. Even if apple has extended the warranty for the old mbp's its still a huge hassle if your gpu fries

3. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

decisions...decisions

I don't really 'need' the touch, but it would be nice to have.
    The cheapest now is the 2.4 which is $1899 for educ. users, so I would be saving(even I sold the touch for say $150), would be about ~400+higher tax on the new educ. one.
    --The difference would be a new touch and slighter new gpu(w/o a problem---at least that we know of as of now), faster ram.

Or I could do the student developer route and get the new mbp w/o the touch for 1698(1599+99 for membership), which is $200 less than new educ. w/free touch, so the new mbp w/free touch, really isn't a free touch, cuz I could buy the touch for $229 or try to get a discount at amazon or somewhere. Even if i bought it from Apple, then I'm only paying about $28 more and get student developer benefits (which I think includes snow leopard, not sure).....really confusing. Or if I sell the touch then 1899- ~$150 (cuz I'm sure there's gonna be a flood of touch's on ebay and Cl's), comes out to 1749, about $51 more than the Student developer route:confused:

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

the 2.4 has shared graphics, right? if they arent im going to buy one right now :)

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

For video editing, the old MBP is your best bet. Two FireWire ports mean you can capture straight to an external FW drive. Dedicated graphics don't matter in Final Cut, but will make a difference in Motion/AfterEffects. Bigger screen is nice for working on the go. You certainly can edit on the Macbook (I do), but the Pro will be a better experience overall.

7. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you're thinking of the new imacs, the mbp's always have had discrete graphics.

8. macrumorsMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks, have you tried motion/color on a mb? what's your experience?

:D