Refurb MBP problems leads to new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elvtnedge, Oct 19, 2008.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

I frequent these forums and get alot of my knowledge from the users here so I'm going to fill you in on what happened to my brother and his refurb MBP.

My brother bought a refurb MBP 2.5 from the apple canada store. He ordered it on wednesday and it was delivered to him on friday. Not bad from California to Toronto Eh??

He called me in a panic on friday night as his screen would turn off after 5 or 6 seconds. He never got past the initial welcome screen. He started googling this problem and found out this was a hardware defect. He tried all solutions of removing the battery etc and nothing. Apple support was closed for the night so.

He called apple tech support yesterday (saturday) and was very frustrated as they confirmed there was something wrong and it had to be shipped back by Fedex on monday and he would get another one in a week. He stated that he didn't want to wait a week and if this computer was tested why was it almost dead on arrival? He questioned the refurbished process and came to the conclusion that he didn't want a computer that had to be shipped back and fourth everytime should something be wrong. Because this MBP was ordered online, he couldn't bring it to an apple store for repair in the future. He was pretty upset about it decided to get a new MBP the same day. For his troubles when he ships back the old one, they will give him an extra $100 credit on his credit card.

so yesterday he called me from the apple store in excitement as he was getting his first MAC after all my ranting and raving about how great they are etc. I should mention he heard they were giving discounts to people for different reasons. Because he is a BMO employee he got an additional 8% discount off the price of the computer. So all in all, at the end of the day the new MBP only cost him a little more.

I was thinking about getting a refurb but after this experiece I would be hesistant too..

Just a FYI for those considering..

thanks

2. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I've bought refurbished items online and never had a problem going to the Apple Store to have a "genius" look at them.

It doesn't matter where you purchased it, if the store can't service it onsite they'll still have to send it out and you'll still have to wait for it to come back.

3. Jatku macrumors member

Yeah stores take your machine if you get it online. My PB G4 ordered online was almost 3 years old, and all the Apple Stores I've been to have taken care of me. None of the stores repair major issues, they send it out like you would.