Refurb MBP with Scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maccad, Aug 19, 2007.

1. maccad macrumors newbie

Just received my Refurb MBP, but is has scratches and knicks on one corner. Nervous that it had been a dropped refurb. Am I over reacting? I did pay a nice chunk of change for it...

Any advice?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, if it was dropped im sure they replaced whatever had broken

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Thats the gamble, I bought 24" imac and it was fully loaded, but had so many issues sold it and moved on....now i buy only new :)

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Ring apple and send it back

Refurbs are supposed to be like new, I have had a few in the past and bought some for presents, they have always been like new, except for the brown box.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Not necessarily. Minor cosmetic blemishes (hairline scratches) are allowable. More significant damages (dents) are not.

Nobody should have the expectation that refurbished machines are like-new, untouched. These machines are sold at a discount, and replacing every little component with a scratch would likely be too costly.

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

If it bothers you too much and if its still possible to send back, then send it back.

7. AndyFL macrumors regular

Exactly my impression as well. There's a reason why I'm getting a machine for hundreds less than new -- one of those reasons being that it might have a few cosmetic blems. I have a 2.16 refurb on the way right now.

For those saying to "just send it back" -- I was under the impression that if you open the box (unseal it) you'd then be subject to the 10% restocking fee. In other words, I don't think you have the "luxury" of fully inspecting a refurb and then sending it back for exchange without any penalty. If I'm mistaken, please point me to the policy on that.....might come in handy! :)

8. Psicotec macrumors newbie

Hmm, I realize it's probably not mine, but I sent back a MBP a couple of weeks ago. It was a 2,2, 160 gb 5200 rpm. It was slightly dented on the bottom left corner and had one or two scratches underneath (a pretty thin long one beside or on the battery).

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Apple is good about replacement , just tell them you are not happy :)

10. AndyFL macrumors regular

Your new MBP came with a dent and two scratches ....?

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You should expect a refurbished product to not be in perfect condition. Are the scratches on the bottom? Don't worry about it because only more are going to show up.

12. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Perfect working Condition, Not cosmetic condition....

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

There's no harm in calling them and mentioning it to them. I mean they aren't supposed to be selling badly damaged refurbs. Everyone would allow for a little scuffing.

14. mantic macrumors 6502a

If you read some of the "fine print" apple states refurbs may have some light cosmetic damage. I took the gamble myself when I purchased my 2.33 MBP a while back and received what seemed to be a new unit.

Some people just get lucky. I would have been ok with a few scratches but I can't stand dents lol.

Best bet is to call and see what happens

15. AndyFL macrumors regular

Definitely, no harm in trying. I was just looking for clarification on the return policy.