Refurb MP or new iMAC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by H&J Studios, Dec 27, 2012.

1. H&J Studios macrumors newbie

In the market for a new mac. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a new BTO iMAC with CPU and GPU upgrades. After doing some research maybe a refurb MP would be a better option? No doubt the new iMAC looks like a performer but I think a MP is better for the long term.

This system will be used with Lightroom and Premiere. Options on the table are the 4 core MP at $1819 or 8 core at $2649. I do have two older 19" monitors but would like to get a cinema display.

Discuss.

Edit..... A new quad core MP could be on the table too, but with there being a update? this year maybe the refurb is the better buy.

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

If you need a machine now and have your reasons for 'needing' a Mac Pro chassis then buy a refurb. You mention a quad core so your best bet is buying a refurbed quad and upgrading it yourself to a 6-core with a W3680.

Buy the most basic quad refurb you can and it offers good value with a DIY upgrade.

This is IF you need a Pro, do you?

3. H&J Studios thread starter macrumors newbie

The alternative is im stuck with what the iMAC has to offer today.

4. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

If you are using Premiere Pro then the two things that the Mac Pro can give you over the iMac is a second CPU and the ability to add a GTX570 CUDA graphics card. We have early 2008 3,1 dual-CPU 4-core 2.8GHz Mac Pros & Premiere runs like a dream on them especially after the GTX285 graphics cards were upgraded to cheap used PC GTX570 video cards & the hard disks upgraded to SSD. When rendering PP maxes out all eight cores on these machines which will grind through the work quicker than even the fastest 4-core iMac.