refurb/old MBP 8600 issue vs new MB alum

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kba, Nov 9, 2008.

1. kba macrumors newbie

I am interested in buying the refurbished Macbook Pros, or a non-refurb previous MBP model (amazon.com for free ship and no tax). Based on reading this forum, of the new models, I would only consider the MB as the new pro would be overkill and not economical.

I would use the laptop for computer programming, usual Internet use, some graphics (photoshop etc) no 3D, maybe amateur video editing (firewire port is not extremely important), writing papers (MS word or Latex) and I am definitely a multitasker but could purchase 3rd party RAM.

I am leaning to the refurb but read about the possible 8600 graphics card issue. I saw the new MB in the store, I liked the aluminum casing and the new trackpad, but the glossy screen had a lot of reflection which could be bothersome (maybe it was due to the store lighting?).

As for screen size, I do not want to get larger than 15inch. Currently, I have an ibook 12.1inch which I have had for almost 4 years. I would like to get something larger but plan to hook it up to an LCD monitor anyway for home. Portability/weight is not too important, as I would only take it with me on trips, not everyday.

I would like to get feedback and suggestions from those who have either of the machines. Thanks

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

i bought an early 2008 MBP from apple on the clearance site and havent regretted it at all. It is plenty fast and has plenty of ram for now.

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

You'll be happy with the older version, unless you want the latest look. The old MB is fine. Hell, it would be a lot faster than my Air, version one. Even then the Air fits me.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

older version, faster cpu, better graphics. bigger screen, matte option. lol a whole truckload of better features. its the "pro" laptop after all.

5. kba thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like the other previous MBPs have sold out, there is this one:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB133LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

If I wait, would more be in stock, or are they pretty much gone?

Looks like Amazon might be a better deal (rebate, no tax)
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB134LL...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226334474&sr=8-3 ($1,644.00)
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB133LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226334474&sr=8-1 ($1,444.00)

is the extra $200 worth the splurge?

6. Catch Them macrumors regular

well the difference between them are:
    a CPU speed bump
    an extra 50GB of drive space
    and 512mb of video memory (which may be nicer to have)

so generally i think maybe it might be worth it for the long run if you might be doing alot of graphic intensive work or maybe playing a few games.

but other i have a 2.2Ghz MBP (mid-2007) that has the 8600GT with 256MB of memory and it suites my needs for what i do (photoshop, illustrator, standard def video editing and converting) a game or two.

might not be the most SUPERIOR but its reasonable.

so those are what might be considered in deciding if the 200$ is worth it or not.

=)

7. darshan macrumors member

this could also be an option

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB487LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

price is really good...

i was considering it... but IS REFURB going to give me issues? :S

i know no one can accurately predict the future but what can one expect as common problems from a REFURB unit?

n e help would be appreciated...

so is that a better buy or is the new alu macbook 2.4 a better buy?

p.s. i am a college student... however i dont travel much with my laptop from class to class... i do word documents, barely any video editing, watch A LOT of movies (indoors)... barely anygaming... (have an xbox360 for that)...

8. Catch Them macrumors regular

also some of the refurbs are glossy and some are matte, just look careful unless either one is not a problem for you.

but either way refurbs are a fantastic deal.

usually what happens is they run it through extensive diagnosis, hardware test, clean sweep of the entire machine. usually if there are problems say with the gpu theyll replace the logicboard and harddrive, put the new OS on it and away it goes.
    so basically theyre like new.

some may or may not have blemishes but most often then not they replace the casing if there are.

and sometimes from what i found out; say when they clear out inventory of stores and the stores have to send inventory back that wasnt sold usually they just sell those (brand new) as refurbs.

but overall its a great deal and id jump on that!!

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i bought a refurb 2.5GHz, 2GB Ram, 8600 512MB and is was brand new as far as I can tell. not a single fingerprint on it. have upgraded it to 4GB ($67) and a Seagate 320GB 7200rpm HD. it's quite fast now, no problems at all.

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

it is possible that it is new. remove the battery and if it lable under it does not say something like refirb apple product then it is new.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Refurb MBPs usually offer excellent value; they have been individually tested and tried, they have all of the features of the MBP, great performance, considerable power, and an excellent screen. Above all, they come with Apple's warranty. Well worth considering.

Cheers and good luck

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

A decent amount of them weren't actually used even.

13. ishpop macrumors newbie

I am curious, how did you go about upgrading your HD? Did you install it yourself? Did this negate your warranty?

Thanks!

14. kba thread starter macrumors newbie

I had to go to the apple store to buy a new power adapter for my current ibook ($80 which sucks but no choice since my Maclly one stopped working and they don't make them anymore so I could not get an exchange though I was within the 1 year warranty).

I asked the guy to give me feedback on making a choice between refurb macbook pro vs new macbook. He asked what I would use it for, and mentioned pro was better for if you do more graphics use. He said he has a macbook pro (old) now and was thinking to get the new macbook. The new Macbook has a stand alone graphics card that is newer, the old pro has an integrated but good graphics card. He thought the macbook is enough for my needs since i am not doing 3d, fancy graphics software.. and its lighter, the led screen, backlit keyboard (for the higher end unit), trackpad, and new casing is good/durable. As for the glossy screen (reflection) he
    said yes that store lighting can affect it and it will most likely not be noticeable when you use it. Any feedback on that? I might go ahead and wait for third party Black Friday specials on the new macbook then.

15. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I just bought the classic MBP, 2.5Ghz.
    It had been on display in a shop here in Norway so I got a very good deal.
    I also prefere the look of this one compared to the new (although the build quality of the new feels much sturdier).
    I planned to get the 2.4 version, but I got this for the same prize.

It´s a wonderfull machine, BUT I had a 12" ibook before and the 15" is huge to lug around.

The 13 would have ben the perfect size for me, but it dosen´t have the pro features I need.
    Expresscard slot being the most important, followed by Firewire.

I use my machine to off load HD footage on location, the view the footage and light editing.
    This Laptop handels it perfectly, I just wish I could get it in a smaller form factor

I think I would have got the new MB if I were you, since you don´t need the ports and graphics card. the smaller form factor is valuable in my opinion

16. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

If you're looking for a deal, and don't mind waiting till Dec. for it to ship, I found this one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-15-4-2GB-MacBook-Pro-2-4GHz-250GB-NEW-MB470LL_W0QQitemZ220309897404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Laptops?hash=item220309897404&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

$1450 for the new aluminum macbook pro. (after live.com cashback)

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Nothing you are intending to do needs a high performance video card. Get the new MacBook (NOT Pro) and you will be fine.

18. darshan macrumors member

hey im not quite sure what this auction means or how it works

care to PM me or just explain it here on how it works live.com rebate and why it ships in december and not immediately, plus do adress how legit this seller is n how he can offer such low pricing on a unit worth 2000$

19. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

not 100% sure on why he's going so cheap, but his feedback is good, looks legit, and I believe you're fully covered by paypal so there's really no risk involved.

as for the live.com rebate - you can google for a tutorial..

http://search.live.com/cashback/howToUse

20. kba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies :) I will just go for the new Macbook

As for the ebay link, I could wait till December, that is about the same price for a new mbp as it is for the new mb. I assume they buy in surplus so they want to get all the orders and money, then make the purchase then send them out?

It is tempting but in spite of their good reviews, just feels like there is some risk since I dont know anyone who has gone through the process.

21. darshan macrumors member

but it does look like you hvae to wait more 30 days... and paypal only covers you for 30 days

i was lookin at the details and i came accorss that...

im usually a nervous buyer from ebay just cuz i dont have 1500 to loose...

can some1 tell me from experience like this that has had a happy ending