Refurb or continue to wait? My patience is running out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmacfilm, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. newmacfilm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #1
    I waited patiently for the new line of MB/MBP to come out on Oct. 14th with the intention of buying a 17"MBP. Obviously I was a bit disappointed when the 17" was left out. On a whim, feeling like a scorn lover, I bought a refurb 17" 2.6 ghz, 2GB ram, HDscreen MBP for $2400.

    I need the machine for HD editing, light design and music recording.

    The other day I read about the issues with the Nvidia 8600(?) graphics card and it has me a bit worried. I was planning on keeping this machine for a solid
    4 or 5 years and don't want to wind up having it break down b/c of that card after the warranty runs out.

    The refurb was just delivered and is still in the box. I'm thinking about returning it and just waiting for the new 17"s (maybe quad-core?). I've seen stories that said the new 17"s are coming out in "a couple of months", next month, or at MW09 in Jan. I can afford to wait until after xmas, but is there anyway I could get burned and there not be a new 17" by Jan. or sooner?

    I don't want to be irrational about it, but I don't want to buy last week's technology (not saying it's bad), when a major upgrade is literally right around the corner.

    Any advice??
     
  2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

    soberbrain

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    #2
    Use the refurb until the new 17" arrives. Then sell the refurb and use the money towards a new 17".

    or keep waiting.
     

Share This Page