Refurb or Education store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by qzxyu, Jul 6, 2011.

1. qzxyu macrumors member

I am trying to price out the best way to get my iMac. Gonna get the base 27" and it looks like using education pricing I will pay 1830, ($99 printer for rebate, $100 student Apple card and tax included) I plan on selling both the printer and card to drop the price down to around $1700.

I was wondering if you shop the refurb store, are you still eligible for the student apple card and the 'buy a printer get $100 back? If so, this would turn out to be a great deal as the computer + printer= $1666. Selling the printer for $50-60 (Since the printer is honestly quite cheap anywhere else) and the Apple card for 80-90; this would drop the price to a little over 1500 tax included. Anyone know how this works? Either way, I reckon the Refurbs are the way to go it looks like.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. The promotion cannot be applied to refurbs.

3. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

Neither?

4. yauzers619 macrumors member

Go refurb.

It's less hassle than trying to sell a printer and a iTunes card.

If you go refurb, you don't get any perks of the back to school program.

5. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

Does the printer rebate work in the refurb store?

Also, if I have problems with the refurb, I have all the rights of return as I would on a new unit, correct?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the printer rebates and other discounts do not apply to refurb models.
    Correct. Refurbs are fully covered by the same warranty as new units, and they qualify for AppleCare, as well.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

7. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I answered my own question. This is from the terms page.

PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Only Apple computers, as defined in this paragraph, and the printers identified in this paragraph qualify for this promotion. For purposes of this
    promotion, “Apple computers” means and is limited to MacBook, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro. Configure-to-order and refurbished versions of these
    Apple computers qualify for this promotion. In addition, for purposes of this promotion, only the following HP, Canon, Samsung, Epson, and Lexmark printer models qualify
    (the “Qualifying Printers”):

8. qzxyu thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, just purchased it. When its all said and done, I will have paid around $1380 +/- $20 for a new iMac since I am moving to Portland and having it shipped to my new address where apparently there is NO SALES TAX?!

Guess you can find a decent deal on a Mac.

9. penduboy, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

penduboy macrumors member

Yes....$100 printer rebate is available with the refurbished iMac as well. :)

PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Only Apple computers, as defined in this paragraph, and the printers identified in this paragraph qualify for this promotion. For purposes of this promotion, “Apple computers” means and is limited to MacBook, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini and Mac Pro. Configure-to-order and refurbished versions of these Apple computers qualify for this promotion. In addition, for purposes of this promotion, only the following Epson, HP and Lexmark printer models qualify (the “Qualifying Printers”):