Refurb or new Imac (8% company disc)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFalcon, Feb 9, 2010.

1. iFalcon macrumors regular

We are looking to purchase our first iMac.

I've had our eye on a 21.5 3.06 refurb at Apple for 1299. However, we also get a 8% discount purchasing new from our local Apple store. The difference is only about $90.

The difference isn't that much, but wondering if it's just better to purchase a refurb. I know that Apple refurbs look brand new.

I believe if you purchase new you do get a $100 rebate towards a printer which isn't really an interest to us.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

2. majiktt macrumors newbie

majiktt

Go for the refurbished... same warranty as new. I've gotten several without any issues.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

And I vote for new.

I have bought many refurbs, but *none* of them have ever looked brand new. :eek:

$1399 at macconnection for the same iMac, after rebate.

Not sure where you are, but no tax for me in Calif, which makes a $110 difference too...

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have no qualms about buying from the refurbished store (and am in the camp of 'just like new' in the stuff I've seen from it), but $90 is pretty close, especially when you can buy locally and possibly save part of the difference in not paying shipping costs.

5. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

I think the $90 is worth the instant gratification rather than waiting for it to ship.

Thanks everyone.

6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

I say new, the refurbs have the same warranty but for the tiny difference in price in this case, new will just feel nicer [​IMG]

7. synthetase macrumors newbie

I'd Go with new. Here's why.

Generally - the discount in stores is 6% on consumer systems like the iMac. The discount on AppleCare is 12%.

However, if you should have any issues with the system, it will be MUCH easier to get it worked out (during the first two weeks) with a new system.

Refurbs do have the same warranty as new systems and should look new. The different part number involved will make it difficult for retail to help you with a DOA system. It's possible, but a pain.

So, if the price difference is manageable get new.

8. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like our discount is 6% rather than 8%. The rep gave us the wrong information the other day.

Anyway, today is the day to either purchase new or refurb.

Our basic use of the machine is email, web browsing, Office for the Mac, pictures (organizing, editing, etc). Neither of our jobs depend on any Mac heavy-duty processing. Primarily just for home use.

I think the big dilemma is making the decision between the 4670 and 9400 video. The refurbs with the 9400 at $999 seem like a nice bang for the buck and would work just fine for us.

With the discount and tax, the 21.5 base (9400) new is 1194 vs 1058 for a refurb.

With the discount and tax, the 21.5 (4670 ) new is 1493 vs 1376 for a refurb. Pretty big jump on price when compared to the base model.

I appreciate your input,

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

For the sake of what? $120, I'd go for brand new, then there's no delay in shipping times, and you'll have a brand spanking new machine, which should not have any blemishes or problems that refurbs are more prone to have. Enjoy.

10. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If the deal was "really good" (like 15% or more) OFF refabs (of same configuraton), I'd probably get a refab unit. Especially since I have kids and they are hard on things anyway. It would be a shame to buy "brand now" and my kids scratch it or hammer it - before the week's done. If the "out the door" for both H/W and included softare items is financially "near the same" numbers, I'd probaby buy brand new.

Before buying "do compare" web prices against store prices as well. For example, bundled iWork (for $30 off) if bought via Apple store, included wired keyboard with side numeric pad (instead of Magic wireless mouse) for NO extra cost, etc. etc. Some stores (like FS & BB) try to charge full price for these other things. Or, "instead of" things. Simply show them Apple Store "web prices" and tell them to either match or beat it - or, you buy online. Some stores try to sell "include" items and do NOT give you the discount. Like FS store - that tried to sell me MS Office for Mac for $199. I said, "gee - that's funny because at end of the isle, that same software is on sale for $179". Always, "know the prices - before dancing with them...".

Hope this helps as well...

11. majiktt macrumors newbie

majiktt

I still say refurb. Why waste any amount of money on packaging alone? The price difference alone pays for AppleCare. That's pretty significant in my mind.

Shipping delays? It doesn't take any less time to ship a new one. Sure you could go to a store, but what's the rush?

12. majiktt macrumors newbie

majiktt

And perhaps I'm unique, but I've never seen a blemish on a refurbished unit. These aren't "scratch and dent" units Apple is reselling!

13. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

For our needs the, will the 9400 card be sufficient or should we step up the 4670?

14. Johnlikesmac macrumors newbie

Yep

I've bought a couple "refurbs" from Apple as well and have never been able to tell the difference from new. Very happy.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The 9400M will be plenty fast for your stated needs iFalcon.