Refurb or New ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexxn, May 23, 2011.

1. alexxn macrumors regular

So I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a new 15" and here's my question:

I can get the new 2011 base for $1700 with Education discount (I work for a School District) OR a 2010 refurb (2.53 i5) for $1439, there's also been a 2010 i5 for $1259 popping in and out in the refurb store.

Is it worth the extra $ to just go with the brand new one ?

I do alot of Photoshop and Lightroom.

Thanks !

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

PS and LR probably won't see much benefit, but the new machines have much faster processors, better gpus, you also have the option of doing BTO and getting hi-res AG screen if you want.

Depends how tight you are on money and how much you are willing to spend.

Personally I'd spring for the new 15. You could also grab a free iPod and printer with the B2S promo, which adds value or could be sold to recoup some of the costs.

3. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

B2S promo ?

When is that ?

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Back to school promo. Just do a google search or on the forum. Basically, with a new Macbook purchase you get a free ipod and printer.

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

It usually starts at the end of the this month.

6. phas3 macrumors 65816

7. altecXP macrumors 65816

Built To Order.

8. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

OK so the Back to School promo is something to consider, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the latest hardware either...

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yeah, you don't necessarily need it for what your needs are now, but the computer may last you a bit longer with the much faster processor, better graphics, thunderbolt port for potential use later, etc. Overall it was a pretty substantial update to the lineup so I'd personally go for the 2011.

10. macagain macrumors regular

better yet, 2011 base for 1529 avail as of now if you hurry... http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC721LL/A?mco=MjIzNjAzMzY

11. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

There's a 2010 refurb that's catching my eye - 2.67 i7 High Res, Antiglare. $1729.

Seems like an awesome laptop, minus the quad cores and thunderbolt of course.

12. McRCN macrumors regular

I bought my iMac off the Apple Refurb Store. I looked brand new to me and I saved $300. I bought it in November and it is has been perfect since.

13. silverf1re macrumors regular

I just pulled the trigger on a refurb 2010 base 15" for 1259. I hate buy used/let alone refurbished products however I went through countless forums and articles reviewing apple refurb process and was convinced that it is a very well put together program. I wouldn't benefit from a quad core and thunderbolt is cool but not worth an extra 500 bucks (ish). With the money u save you can buy apple care also :)