REFURB or NOT REFURB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by primitiques, Dec 20, 2011.

1. primitiques macrumors newbie

I want an Apple Macbook Pro, what are the pros and cons of Refurb thru the Apple Store??? any stories???

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My Macbook and MBP were both refurbs. The only difference is in the box. You get a brown box instead of a white one with graphics. For the MB I got a bonus 2 GB of RAM that were not explicit on the configuration.

B

3. larmende macrumors member

My MBA refurb came with a US keyboard, and that in the UK. Don't know if that is just luck of the draw or if they all come like that.

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Refurbs are great! Maybe better than brand new in most cases. When I was trying to buy my current 17in MBP, I kept getting brand new units that had this ridiculous high frequency squeal coming from the monitor, something relating to whatever is controlling the brightness.

Decided to try a refurb...absolutely perfect from the start!

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Refurbs are of excellent quality, and you can occasionally get bonus upgrades at no extra cost.

6. Sirolway macrumors 6502

7. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

My mate and I bought 13" MBPs at th same time, except mine was a refurb. The battery in mine was never as good. Other than that, all good. I do like the cheaper $$ too.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Had a 2009 iMac refurb - it arrived and was indistinguishable from new. And you get a same as new warranty.

The only con is you pay sales tax. Sometimes you can find a authorized dealer like B and H Photo, or Amazon that has below list pricing and no sales tax with free shipping. This is not as good a deal as the refurb with tax but sometimes that difference is low enough that one inclines towards now - that is why I bought my 2010 MBP new from Amazon for $1,670 last year.

Also, be aware that older model refurbs, like 2010's, may come with Snow Leopard instead of Lion installed, so that $30 price difference should be considered

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

the pros are that you save money, the cons are none

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Keep in mind you owe the sales tax for your state either way. It's a matter of whether the retailer charges it to you. I know not everyone pays it, but it's worth noting.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Go for a refurb if the model + spec combination you want is currently for sale on the Apple Store. They're exactly the same as brand new units. I've got a few refurb things from Apple before (an iPod and an iPhone) and they were exactly like brand new units.

12. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Where on apple's website is the link for refurb iPhones?

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got a great deal on a 2008 15 inch MBP 6 months after it released... I soon found that it had a major flicker issue when on the 9600GT card. 2 years later I was able to get it fixed with a logic board change though... if it wasn't for that issue the MBP was great for the 2 years I kept it!

14. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Refurbs are awesome. My first iPad was a refurb and a couple iPods as well. I only buy new if the refurb configuration I want is not available.

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's A Great Way Of Saving

And you have the knowledge that these macs have been tested, repaired and are like brand new....I'd say go for it. You still have Apples support, but I would buy AC with the money you save too.

16. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

They don't sell them, but I got one as a replacement for a faulty iPhone 3G.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've always heard positive feedback on anyone who's purchased a refurb from apple. I'll be in the market for a Mac Mini in the 2012 and I'll be waiting for that bad boy to hit the refurb section.

18. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

19. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Though I've never bought a Mac refurb I have bought just about everything else refurb and have never had a problem. I usually buy from the refurb before the new. If I bought a Mac refurb I would opt for the Apple Care.

20. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

21. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I'd still buy a refurb in the future but I have one experience that indicates they may not be as perfect as some people think: Macrumors link

Greg

22. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I always buy referb if what I am looking for is available.

23. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Let me sum up this thread for you...

Pros
    • Cheaper - I just bought a refurb iMac, the one that Apple sells for $1699. I got it for $1419 before tax, but even after tax it was cheaper than Amazon, and I got free next-day shipping through Apple
    • One year warranty just like a new Mac; eligible for AppleCare
    • Virtually indentical to a new Mac
    • Possibility of surprise upgrade (ie. 8GB of RAM when it was supposed to only come with 4GB)

Cons
    • Box is either a plain cardboard or white box, no printing whatsoever. Some will have an Apple logo with "Certified Reconditioned Item" or something along those lines, though. MacBooks come in a larger box, iMacs are packaged identically to the new thing, as far as I can tell.
    • You can't go to an Apple Store to get one, and you can't do the online in-store pick-up immediately, but they will ship it to the store if you want (takes about a week).

I can vouch for all of these. I would highly recommend getting a refurb. I've had three Macs - only one of them was brand new, and that's only because when I got it, they didn't have a refurb unit of the one I wanted. I'm expecting a refurb iMac from FedEx today, and I'm sure it will be just as good as new as well.

24. Hassy500 macrumors newbie

Hassy500

+1 for Refurb.

2009 Mini 2.66 Core 2 Duo w/320 GB HD, 2 GB RAM bought in 2010 for $499 when retail was $599.

Will install 6 GB of additional ram in a couple of weeks for under $130. Can't beat it with a stick.

25. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Refurbs are sometimes not as cheap as you think. Apple doesn't drop the prices enough for me to go with a used as sometimes Macmall or other macsites have them cheaper or close to the same price for a new one. A computer is something I personally wouldn't get used but to each their own.