Refurb or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thaa8thWonder, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Thaa8thWonder macrumors newbie

Im considering buying a Refurb of the 8gb model thats out now, but I realize that the new iphone is due out shortly. My question is, should I wait or get the refurb? anyone out there have a refurb and have any positive/negative feedback? I read that refurbs are great because they are almost half the price, and are good as new. IM nervous about getting the new version, cause things are almost never perfect the 1st time around.... decisions decisions! any help would be amazing. Like, if I wait for the new model, what am I really getting thats so new? Everyone is always talkin numbers and letters that make no sence to me! haha
    Thanks guys!

2. tringo macrumors regular

I'm going through a similar dilemma and right now it doesn't appear worth waiting. Basically the only difference expected in the new iPhone is 3G compatibility and that doesn't concern me at all.

3. Thaa8thWonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, everyone keeps saying that, but what does 3G ACTUALLY mean?! haha like whats the big diff between the current and the new? if its software, isnt that just a download away anyway?

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Simply put, it's a faster rate of transfer. 3G means Third Generation. EDGE is 2.5G. The iPhone currently uses EDGE which at most is like dial-up internet (unless you're on Wi-Fi, but that's different)...3G is like lower end DSL.

And you can also be on call and at the same time use the internet (like if someone called you and you were getting directions from them...you can use Maps to look up the route as you are talking) The current EDGE can't do that (unless you're on Wi-Fi which is highly improbable while you are on the road)

5. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

This theme has been discussed over and over but her ei answer once again,

Wait, Why wait?

-3g (even if you dont use it)
    -Possible larger capacities
    -Possibly gps
    -Possibly new digital camera and video chat camera
    -A small possibilitty of new OLED displays (in other words more space for hardware and better display).
    -Smal small possibility maybe a feedback touchscreen
    -A new design even if is similer it might look better
    -Minor hardware updates.

and even if you dont like any of these or half of thse dont come the current models will be a lot cheaper... you cn still buy one of the old for less.

6. Thaa8thWonder thread starter macrumors newbie

No need for the tude, like i said, I dont understand half of the mumbo Jumbo on here. So i'm guessing your saying to just get one now? and do you think refurb is the way to go? sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure im making a good choice

7. wizard macrumors 68040

Mr. Preg hit it pretty square here.

Very likely to be a highly over rated feature on the new phone.
    Another real possibility. Especially as the iPhone becomes a much larger part of iPod sales. Remember Steve J. went the cell phone route because he saw the iPod market evaporating once people became comfortable with the idea of a music playing cell phone. I see this feature as a far bigger draw than 3G. If Apple can stuff 32 to 64 Giga Bytes of storage into the next generation iPhone I see it being a huge seller.
    I'd certainly like to see this on an optional model. Especially if Apple can make arrangements for internally stored maps. The problem is that GPS is most useful tome when I'm far from a cell or WiFi connection.
    I see this as a given. The question becomes just how much of an improvement will we see. There is a huge amount of research going into cell camera technology at the moment. If Apple can lock in the right tech it could result in a huge improvement to the camera.
    The situation here is the same as with the camera. A lot of research going into OLED. The real possibility of a folding iPhone becomes a reality. There is even a company expecting to have a cell Phone with a roll out screen this year. The potential is huge here also, but the question remains is Apple ready to switch to something so new.
    Personally I feel this is a waste of time and a huge reliability problem. I'm not sure why people feel this is a requirement. Frankly I fear the people that want this are the same ones that use a cell phone while driving.
    Possibly significant updates. This of course is a difficult thing to guess at because Apple has many options including a high value phone and a lower value one.
    Possibly the best reason of all. If Apple decides to keep the current iphone in the line up it might become much cheaper. If we are lucky AT&T might even offer a better plan for the low end model. By the way I don't think they will necessarily keep the current model as is but I do believe we will see a line up of iPhones very soon. The low end would offer features similar to what we have now.

In any event I got out the soldering iron to rework my old cell phone so that it would last a few months longer. That worked so I'm not pressed to buy hardware, which is the best position to be in.

Dave

8. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I just got my refurb today! Its ****ing awesome! It was in awesome condition. I bought it from apple online store of course for $350 i think it was worth it!

9. mechamac macrumors regular

I just ordered an 8GB refurb. I was on the fence about the new model, but then I went to AT&T to see how bad EDGE was. Your milage may vary, but I thought EDGE was far, far from terrible. Totally fine for anything but YouTube, which is no deal breaker for me. I'll be at school for another year, which (to my mind) means that new models or no, I'll use the current iPhone in an all-wifi environment for at least another year. Ah, justifications, shmustifications. Can't wait for my terrible, terrible new phone to arrive.

10. pazreal macrumors regular

ordered a refurb, love it and have something to use while I wait for 3g!

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

What I would do is wait for the new one to come out then get the older one for a very chap clearance price.