Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiroNavro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I only noticed this because I've been saving money to get this machine. The following desktop has dropped in price by $50. It was $1349 but is now $1299. I just thought some of you might be interested in this.

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
24-inch glossy widescreen display
1GB memory
320GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Built-in iSight Camera

bub9001

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
It's the classic case of supply and demand. The New Models have dropped in price so the Refurbish model is going to follow suit. I am sure my 20" 2.4Ghz model is sitting somewhere new, since i returned it a week after I bought it. Nothing at all wrong with it, just didn't want a all in one.

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
how typical apple...

apples hint hint, nudge nudge move.
its probably going to get a bump in specs soon.
they did the same with the iPod classic's as well.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
wow. It dropped $50 only a couple of weeks ago. I bought this machine for $1399 2 months ago. $1299 is a swell machine. plop down under $100 for 4 gigs of 3rd-party ram and have a field day.

I use mine at work, but I do have lustful thoughts of having one at home.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
This is the 800mhz FSB version, so it's not to be confused with the "current" lineup. Only meant as caution, as it still looks like a good choice!

TheDoctah

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Brampton, ON
wow. It dropped $50 only a couple of weeks ago. I bought this machine for $1399 2 months ago. $1299 is a swell machine. plop down under $100 for 4 gigs of 3rd-party ram and have a field day.

I use mine at work, but I do have lustful thoughts of having one at home.

They did the same on the Canadian site too! Sweet, now im definitely going to invest in some more RAM.

Thanks for the heads up!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Not trying to throw cold water on anything, but ..... price drops are not uncommon on the refurb store.... at least the Canadian version. They go up, they go down..... a couple of times a week.

I'm watching and waiting to catch good deal on a MB. I've been checking the refurb store most days, sometimes twice a day, for a few months. Amazing deals will appear on occasion, but then disappear quickly. If you looking for something, you have to move fast if you see a good deal.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Not trying to throw cold water on anything, but ..... price drops are not uncommon on the refurb store.... at least the Canadian version. They go up, they go down..... a couple of times a week.

I'm watching and waiting to catch good deal on a MB. I've been checking the refurb store most days, sometimes twice a day, for a few months. Amazing deals will appear on occasion, but then disappear quickly. If you looking for something, you have to move fast if you see a good deal.

Interesting. I'm also a refurb store watcher, but on the U.S. site. The prices are much more static there. I wonder if it'd have anything to do w/ exchange rates, though I confess ignorance on the swings (or not) of the US$/CD$ exchange rate.

bub9001

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
This is the 800mhz FSB version, so it's not to be confused with the "current" lineup. Only meant as caution, as it still looks like a good choice!

If I put you in front of a 800Mhz FSB and then a 1066Mhz FSB iMac, I truly know you couldn't tell me which one is faster. Given the chance I would buy it if I didn't already have a 22" Wide screen LG Monitor. So I wait for the Mac Mini Update or a Cheaper MacBook that may come out next month.

NiroNavro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
If I put you in front of a 800Mhz FSB and then a 1066Mhz FSB iMac, I truly know you couldn't tell me which one is faster.

It is true that the iMac we're talking about is now a year old but I agree that you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. This iMac used to be in the lower end 24" slot (where the 2.8GHz version is now). Whether or not it is a little outdated, I still feel confident that this is a great deal and would be an outstanding computer nonetheless.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
If I put you in front of a 800Mhz FSB and then a 1066Mhz FSB iMac, I truly know you couldn't tell me which one is faster. Given the chance I would buy it if I didn't already have a 22" Wide screen LG Monitor. So I wait for the Mac Mini Update or a Cheaper MacBook that may come out next month.

And this is exactly why I wish Apple would release a tower thats not a super expensive mac pro, some people already have computer monitors and the mac mini is over priced and under powered.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
And this is exactly why I wish Apple would release a tower thats not a super expensive mac pro, some people already have computer monitors and the mac mini is over priced and under powered.

This is a recurring complaint (because they don't do anything about it!), but I totally agree. I don't have room to put an imac next to my existing monitor and I can't afford a mac pro. The mini is far too little bang for the buck. I want a machine with 1 or 2 expansion slots and and some desktop components to reduce the price a bit and we're all set. I know they can do it and still be as :apple: sleek as all get out.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Agree with the comments on the 800/1066 mhz. I was simply trying to clear up confusion since I felt like the original post was a little vague.

I'll also agree with the iTower comment. I'd probably run out and grab one and save a few hundred over a comprable (high end?) iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.