Refurb Quads vs New Duals?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jh4n688, Nov 1, 2013.

1. jh4n688, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

jh4n688 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a computer that can handle fairly heavy Logic Pro use and live audio processing in a program called Max/MSP. It'd be a nice bonus to be able to play some games like Bioshock or Batman (at even the lowest graphic settings), though I am not buying it for this reason. Overall cost and price to performance ratio are the driving factors for me. I would prefer to have this computer be capable of my audio processing needs for the next 4-6 years.

According to Geekbench, the refurbished model crushes the new 13". The cores are basically equivalent, so the 15" is almost twice as fast.
    I know I will need 512GB of hard drive space, but admittedly, a lot of what I have can easily be moved off into an external if need be.

Is there really much of a difference between new and old retinas besides the battery/temp. performance? I know the processor speed increase is pretty negligible. Are the new PCIe SSDs significantly faster than the previous mid-2012 model? I tried to look this up and got confused results. Furthermore, would a major difference in speed effect my usage much? I'm guessing no.

The battery life is important to me, but for various reasons, I would almost consider the screen size more important.

I'm leaning towards the a refurbished 15" retina (Feb. 2013) with quad 2.4/8/256 and the 650M card for $1659.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

1. CPU performance is similar (the new once have lower clocks, but perform a little bit better (single digit %)
    2. iGPU performance on the new is a lot better (don't know how important this is)
    3. dGPU performance is similar
    4. PCIe SSDs are faster (how much depends on the size, 512GB gets about 750MB/s, 1TB up to 1GB/s)

If you are looking for a 256GB device, the new rMBP don't offer dGPU. If I were you I'd get a Early 2013 refurb

3. jh4n688 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Do you happen to know what the transfer rate is on the early 2013 refurb SSDs? That's what I found conflicting info on.

4. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

you fond conflicting info because transfer rate depends on SSD size. The larger the drive the faster it is (same with every SSD on the market)
    Early 2013 SSD (256GB) should get somewhere around 400-500 read/write