refurb question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baxingo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. baxingo macrumors member

Just a quick question, do any of the macbook pros or any item in apples refurbished store come in anything but the base models you can buy? like will I ever find someones returned mbp with 8gb ram? or just the base stuff?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You just have to keep an eye on the refurb pages for what you want. It can change daily or more. For instance, I just bought a 27" iMac i7 and as soon as I made the purchase, it disappeared from the site indicating that it was the only one they had.

If you're wondering about this because you want one with more RAM, you'd be better off getting one with the base amount of RAM and buying the extra RAM from OWC or other third party retailer. RAM from Apple is extremely overpriced. I bought 16GB of RAM for this new iMac from OWC for $233. Had I bought it from Apple it would have cost $1000.

3. simsaladimbamba

Maybe, have you taken a look at the ever changing Apple Online Store and its Refurbished Mac section yet? (currently no offers in the US store)

You can always update to 8GB much cheaper using RAM bought at MacSales or Newegg.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes there is. There are a lot of MBP's in the refurb store right now.

5. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking at the Canadian store, but i've checked both, and I think they share returned items. And I was also looking at macbook airs, if I would find a 4gb model on there, i've never seen anything but base models in the store.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The only time I've seen upgrades in the store is if someone has returned them. Its very rare. A few stores will stock some upgrades, but it depends on how they operate or if the genius screwed up.