Refurb question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Random14, May 3, 2012.

1. Random14 macrumors member

Ok, as far as I understand it from reading here and elsewhere, refurbished macs have most of the same rules as buying a new macbook pro- 14 return period from when its delivered, 1 year warranty, etc. (just can't return it to an apple store, has to be by mail).

But just checking, fiddling around with the ram in it won't void the 14 day return period, right? Just have to be sure to put the old ram back in first if I return it, I think? I have some extra ram lying around and figured might as well test it on a macbook pro first.

Still thinking about keeping it or not, it depends on how my parents feel about it (and whether any news about the 2012 models pops up in the next few weeks too).

2. simsaladimbamba

Since RAM is user replaceable, you will be still able to return the refurbished product after upgrading the RAM with 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM.

3. trikky macrumors regular

RAM and the Hard drive are user-servicable and information on how to do this is provided in the manual.

If you're doing an upgrade to either of those, it's in your own interest to remove them and replace the old part before returning - not because of anything to do with the warranty, but because if you're spending the money on an upgrade, you don't want to waste it. :apple:

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You can return the MBP even if you leave your after market RAM inside. My friend upgraded his RAM on his refurb MBP before the 2011 updated and returned it for the new one with the upgraded RAM still inside, I guess the next owner got a nice little surprise.

5. trikky macrumors regular

I bought my Refurb Feb 2011 MBP and it came with extra RAM. I was happy when I discovered that. :)

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thats one of the nice things about refurbs sometimes they come with extra RAM upgraded HDD and even software it really is a great deal!

7. Random14 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, ok, thanks for the answers, just was making sure. The refurb seems to be working great, just trying out a few things before I put in new ram then. If I return it just gotta remember to take the ram back out before I pack it back up. Well, that and erase all my data, although Apple would probably do that (went through all the OS X setup when I first booted it up), but might as well be careful/paranoid.

8. heeby macrumors member

I have heard this a lot but wasn't that lucky. However what I did get was clearly brand new and likely overstock and not a true refurb. There was not a single mark on it that would give it away that it had at least been used and returned. I will always buy from the refurb store if I can. I also like the idea that (supposedly) they are gone over again in a QC/function check.

9. parish macrumors 65816

parish

So did my 2008 MBP :D

It said 2GB, but About This Mac says 4GB :D