Refurb rMBP 13" or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michael.pryke, Aug 24, 2016.

  1. michael.pryke macrumors newbie


    Sep 9, 2013
    London, UK
    Hi all,

    I've been a longtime lurker and infrequent poster, and have always been an early adopter, buying the latest Apple products whenever they come out. However, due to a change in circumstances (i.e. Less money!) I have to be mindful of what I spend. So I thought I'd look to you guys for your 2 cents worth

    I'm marketing manager for a social enterprise which helps budding entrepreneurs in the developing world, teaching them entrepreneurship skills to help them become self-sufficient. As a bit of a one-man-band my workload is diverse and comprises some light-middleweight graphic design (photo editing, Page layouts, social media campaign graphics, etc. in Adobe CS; some light video editing; lots of email/word processing etc.) All of our bespoke software is browser-based, so no problems there.

    Key considerations for me are battery life (I work from Africa fairly regularly and remotely even more regularly). Portability is important, though I have an iPad Pro 12.9 for when I need to really slim the kit down.

    My question is: is it a hugely stupid idea to buy the refurbished 2015 i7, 16GB rMBP 13" from Apple online? It's about £1400 ($1850 USD). I can just about afford that, though would prefer to spend less. What're the chances I'll get similar (or more) bang for my buck waiting for the any new generation MBP?

    Thanks in advance for the advice, guys!
  2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

    BeefCake 15

    May 15, 2015
    near Boston, MA
    The Apple event is in couple of weeks, you'll get a better answer then if it's not urgent to buy now.
  3. ajay96 macrumors 6502

    Jul 29, 2013
    I'd wait unless you need it right now. Its right around the corner, and if the new one isn't that great, the 2015 model's prices should drop.
  4. T5BRICK macrumors G3


    Aug 3, 2006
    Don't spend extra on the i7 processor, it isn't worth it. That'll save you a few bucks. You're talking about a 10% increase in price for a less than 5% increase in performance.

    The current 13" rMBP meets all of your needs from what I can tell, so if you need a computer now, then you should buy one now. If you can wait, then you should wait.
  5. michael.pryke thread starter macrumors newbie


    Sep 9, 2013
    London, UK
    Thanks, all, for the replies.

    My gut is that the current rMBP will suit me fine, but I'll wait and see what the event holds. Appreciate the input.

  6. gngan macrumors 68000


    Jan 1, 2009
    No doubt the current rMBP suits you fine but you also said that you would like to spend less right? Wait till the new one is announced and the current model will probably have discount.
  7. photoj2754 macrumors 6502


    Oct 10, 2013
    This is what I just bought.

Share This Page