Refurb rMBP Odd Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spasticthinker, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Spasticthinker macrumors newbie

So I got my refurb rMBP last week, and I have really enjoyed the performance of the machine - and of course the screen is amazing.

However I did have two issues, one really weird that I wanted to see if any other rMBP owners have had. It took me a while to isolate this! Basically, if I'm running on the Intel gfx card, my computer will freeze up after a random amount of time (typically less than 30 minutes) running any one of the following:

Videos in QuickTime
    Music in iTunes
    Video in Safari (hulu, youtube - both flash and html5)
    Video in Chrome (hulu, youtube - both flash and html5)

When it freezes, everything stops. No error message, just can't move the mouse, no kb input, etc. If I had the sound on, I hear the last half second of sound repeated endlessly. Only solution is to hold the power button down to shut it off. Tried a complete wipe and reinstall of OS to rule out 3rd party software, still happening. Does not occur in safe mode, I suspect maybe safe mode locks nvidia gfx on? Tried SMC/NVRAM resets. Checked Console each time, no reoccurring messages leading up to freeze. AHT comes back clean, even running multiple extended tests - so a really weird issue.

Does not occur if I force OS to use the nVidia card, just the Intel. The reason I'm asking - I'm going to return this machine and possibly just spring for a new one, because I like the machine so much, but I want to make sure I can watch a video on the thing for more than 30 minutes without it seizing up!

The other issue is a clunking noise from inside the machine when I move it around - I suspect batteries were not fastened down based on the hefty feel of whatever it is moving around in there. So it's definitely getting returned, just want to double check with others regarding the weird freezing before I shell out an extra $600 for a new one!

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Sounds like you should just contact apple about a replacement machine...are you near an Apple Store, you could start there with a Genius appointment. See if you can replicate your issues (esp. the clunking sounds) and they can help you from that point on....

Just a question, have you updated to the latest version of Mac OSX?

3. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, completely updated. I was thinking run it by a store, but the freezing is the type of issue that is such a pain to demonstrate and troubleshoot, since it can take a half hour to start happening in my testing. The clunking is definitely easier to demonstrate, though :) I'm definitely going to call them and have it replaced, I'm just thinking going new this time, as long as no other rMBP owners were seeing similar issues with the freezes. Appreciate the response!

4. tekksan macrumors regular

I had similar issues when running on the HD4000 and using Chrome and launching Adobe Flash content. I've since dumped Chrome for Webkit Nightly and run on the 650m card and haven't had an issue.

I'm going to run on the HD4000 and use Webkit Nightly and see what happens though when I'm at home I use an external display that requires the 650m...

5. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

If I only had the problems within Chrome, eh, for this machine I'd make the switch to a different browser. But having the issues with the other applications I mentioned is a bummer, since the intel definitely helps with battery. Having to restart 3 times watching a 1.5hr movie sucks!

6. tekksan macrumors regular

I'll let you know how my running Webkit Nightly and the Intel card goes....

7. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks - I'll be interested to know your results. Do you have the 2012 rMBP (what I have) or one of the recently refreshed ones?

8. tekksan macrumors regular

9. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went and grabbed the most recent nightly version of Webkit to give it a shot. Went to hulu, played a full 20ish minute show, no crashes. Great! On to the next show. Froze up 10 minutes in.

I force the restart, replay the show. Frozen even faster, maybe 5 minutes in. Once again, power off and restart, try again (note that with each power off, I do not let it re-launch the app automatically, I manually restart it just to be as "clean" as possible). Final try, frozen a minute after starting.

Tekksan if you can confirm you don't see those types of issues in webkit, or if you have the ability to run a movie through quicktime with no issues on the internal gfx card, I'll just go ahead and buy a new rMBP when I return this one.

10. tekksan, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

tekksan macrumors regular

ok, I'll run a couple of hulu Flash movies through webkit nightly while on the Intel card. Also, are you using gfxCardStatus to lock onto the Intel HD 4000 or are you letting it auto-switch?

UPDATE: I ran two hours of Daily Shows on Hulu without any crashes using Webkit Nightly and using gfxCardStatus to hard code to the HD4000.

11. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, I appreciate you doing that - I went ahead and arranged to return the refurb, as well as ordered up a new rMBP. I was guessing I would've read more about the freezing issue online if it was very common, but I just wanted a gut check. Thanks again!

12. tekksan macrumors regular

By the way, my 2012 rMBP is a refurb, fwiw....

13. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had a good experience with refurb from Apple in the past, at least 2 or three machines without a problem. In this case I figured eh, I'll get the recently updated hardware with a bit more power now that I know I really like the machine.

14. Spasticthinker thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to provide a quick update to close this out for anyone who might have a similar issue. I called Apple, they accepted the return of my refurb retina Macbook Pro with zero hassle. I have now received my new early 2013 model and I'm happy to say I have none of the odd freezing I experienced with the refurb model in any browser (iTunes and QuickTime work great as well).

Thanks tekksan for your help!