Refurb + Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by illuminum, Aug 28, 2009.

1. illuminum macrumors newbie

i've decided to buy a refurbished 13 inch macbook pro from the canadian apple store. does anyone know if it'll come with snow leopard preinstalled?
    normally i wouldnt expect this to be an issue, but since we're in the switchover period for OSs right now, they might not have a chance to preinstall it.

will i have to pay the 10$ upgrade for Macs purchased after June 8th?
    will it come in the box but not installed?
    will it be preinstalled?

also, tell me what your experience has been with refurbished apple products, if you have firsthand knowledge

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Over the years, I have purchased a myriad of refurbished macs. They have all been like new machines. On occasion things like additional hard drive space and memory were included.

Snow Leopard will be included with all refurb machines, so there is no need to buy the UTD software.

I am uncertain if it will be preinstalled. For the immediate future I doubt it, as it would be easier to drop the disc in the box and let you do it.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I'm looking in the CDN refurb section right now. All of the machines I've looked clearly state that they ship with SL. It may be a drop-in disc, but the computer will arrive with 10.6 somehow.

I've got two refurb products: an MBP and an AEBS. Both arrived in pristine condition, and both work exactly as I expected. 100% satisfied.

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I have purchased 2 G4 towers, 1 Powerbook, and 2 white ibooks, all refurbished. I had no issues at all with any of these refurbished computers.

Since Sl just came out on Friday, it will not be preinstalled. It is an upgrade from Leopard. The disk will be included in the box for you to do the install.

5. ShadowMind macrumors newbie

Everything should ship with 10.6 according to the website. I have purchased an Air, an iPod Shuffle, an iPod Classic, and a MBP refurbished. While the items may not come in the fancy boxes, I figure it is worth the discount of several hundred dollars. I also bought the warranties for the two computers...just in case. I recommend buying refurb. My friend bought a refurbished eMac in 2004 and it still runs strong.