Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I picked up a new iphone today to replace my broken one - sealed box, as new - nothing tampered with, set it up, updated to 3.0 and last.fm pops up telling me that some song I've never heard of was played on my iphone about a week ago (when i had no iphone...)
how could this be? do apple package refurbed iphones as new?
thoughts..

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hmm, was it the original box that all brand new iPhones come in, or was it a smaller box?

That being said, did you pay full price for the new one?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Was it a push notification? Unlocked and jailbroken iPhones have been messing up push notifications by confusing the server and making some people get the wrong notifications.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
Was it a push notification? Unlocked and jailbroken iPhones have been messing up push notifications by confusing the server and making some people get the wrong notifications.

Excellent point! (I was confused at first and thought you had responded to the wrong post :p). I'm interested in knowing if it could be this too.

Shoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
nah it wasn't push, it was on my PC, it said the ipod had played a track. and i am not jailbroken.

it was a normal sized box as any other iphone was. straight off the shelf. weird.
the contents seemed untouched too, the phone still with it's plastic cover etc.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Some worker was listen in music on the assembly line with your phone.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
last.FM requires that you log into your account and wouldn't have used the history of what was already played on the iPhone. It sounds like some kind of problem with your last.FM account, not the iPhone.

Shoot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
last.FM requires that you log into your account and wouldn't have used the history of what was already played on the iPhone. It sounds like some kind of problem with your last.FM account, not the iPhone.

last.fm on my PC. it pulls any 'played songs' data from any ipod/iphone plugged in. it takes it from the library data on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.