refurb sold as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shoot, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Shoot macrumors regular

I picked up a new iphone today to replace my broken one - sealed box, as new - nothing tampered with, set it up, updated to 3.0 and last.fm pops up telling me that some song I've never heard of was played on my iphone about a week ago (when i had no iphone...)
    how could this be? do apple package refurbed iphones as new?
    thoughts..

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hmm, was it the original box that all brand new iPhones come in, or was it a smaller box?

That being said, did you pay full price for the new one?

3. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Was it a push notification? Unlocked and jailbroken iPhones have been messing up push notifications by confusing the server and making some people get the wrong notifications.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Excellent point! (I was confused at first and thought you had responded to the wrong post :p). I'm interested in knowing if it could be this too.

5. Shoot thread starter macrumors regular

nah it wasn't push, it was on my PC, it said the ipod had played a track. and i am not jailbroken.

it was a normal sized box as any other iphone was. straight off the shelf. weird.
    the contents seemed untouched too, the phone still with it's plastic cover etc.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Some worker was listen in music on the assembly line with your phone.

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

last.FM requires that you log into your account and wouldn't have used the history of what was already played on the iPhone. It sounds like some kind of problem with your last.FM account, not the iPhone.

8. Shoot thread starter macrumors regular

last.fm on my PC. it pulls any 'played songs' data from any ipod/iphone plugged in. it takes it from the library data on the device.