Refurb store always has Alu Macbook 2.0, any reason?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by booste, Apr 19, 2009.

1. booste macrumors member

booste

I'm going to buy a refurb 2.0 unibody aluminum MacBook from the refurb store as soon as I get a job, and I'm always looking at the refurb store for some reason..

Anyways, the model I'm looking for has been there every time I've looked in the past few weeks. Would this be because of defective units? Or some other issue...

I'm looking at the Canada/US refurb store (Same thing I think)

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Buy with confidence. I wouldn't worry about any defects.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You mean the highest-volume unit has the highest incidence of return? Shocking.

Yes, they get more basic MacBooks returned than they do high-end MacBook Pros. Because they sell more. Absolute numbers are meaningless - you want to look at the ratio of units returned to units sold.

No idea what the number is, though.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Refurbs come with the same warranty as new units, so you may buy with confidence. Maybe a little bit more confidence, since Apple's had to look at the unit again before they can put in the store.

Besides being the most popular portable due to price, a lot of people will decide within the first 14 days that they want the 2.4 mp because of the backlit keyboard or whatever, and trade the 2.0 in for either that or a macbook.

Apple then has a returned comptuer that they can't sell as new, so they put it in the refurb section of the website. You may also find an 'easter egg', an upgrade that the prior owner put in before they returned it, like extra memory or a larger/faster hard drive.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...wish I was that lucky...

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its because majority buy the 2.4 model both new/refurb due to its backlit keyboard. So there's a surplus of 2.0 models

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Don't forget the incidents of people buying the alu MBs, then realizing that they cannot get by without FireWire ports, and return for that reason too.

8. GTJ macrumors newbie

I say go for it, i got a 2.4 one and it came with an upgrade of 4gig ram and a 320 hardrive. Was pristine too. Love it so far!

9. Nistilian macrumors newbie

Great deal! I hope I'm as lucky. I'd be happy with just the RAM.

10. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Nope. I can promise you the 2.0 model is by far the higher seller -- most people don't see the value in paying $300 extra for what looks the same from the outside.

The 2.0 MacBook is Apple's single highest-volume machine and so there will always be plenty of refurbs.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Plus, some buy not knowing what they've gotten into. They may need to run some web app for work that only works on a PC, so have to return it for a PC instead.

When I was at the store, I saw one being returned for an iMac. I guess the person decided to forgo portability and get a more powerful desktop.

Sometimes, they decide that they've overspent and return it to get a PC laptop or Netbook, or maybe a desktop (Mac or PC).

Refurbs are great though - definitely worth the savings.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I recently purchased a 2.4 MBP from the refurb site and have no issues whatsoever with it.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Weird...i remember visiting the Apple store once and 3 customers were looking at the MacBooks and all went for the 2.4GHz model which is why i thought it was the popular model. Then again i can see why people would opt for the cheaper 2.0GHz, the difference with the 2.4 isn't night and day after all

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I exchanged 5 of them because of nothing more than a crooked lid. :p