Refurb Store+Blackbooks=possible dip in funds.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abominablerror, Jan 26, 2009.

1. abominablerror macrumors newbie

abominablerror

Hello!

So I'm basically in love with the black macbook's design. I really wish they could do it in aluminum. Anyway, I had a few questions before I actually purchase it.

First of all, I'm a high school student, so money is an object. I actually have enough saved up for a low end/low end refurb of an iMac, but I'd rather have something I could take from room to room. (My dell inspirion is failing anyway, so hopefully an iMac is in our future) I'm in something called the International Baccalaureate Programme, so I'm doing all nighters all the time, and thus I need a computer that is relatively quiet, and doesn't get that hot. I've heard some bad stories of blackbook's heat and sound issues, are they true?

Also, I will be using the computer for basic stuff mainly: word processing, web/email, iTunes (which I like to have open while I'm doing my work), and watching some movies or youtube during my breaks. I'm not a heavy gamer at all, but I'd like to make a Windows partition for MapleStory, because it's the only game I ever play...and it's infrequent.

All of that is a round about way of asking what the difference between a 2.2 GHz and a 2.4 GHz processor is and if it would be of significant difference. I was curious to know how much of a difference there would be from an Intel GMA X3100 graphics card and the new nVidia cards found in the alu macs.

Thanks for your help.

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

I have a late '07 black MacBook 2.2 Ghz and have had no heat or sound issues.

The nVidia card probably won't make much difference for what you're using it for.

3. abominablerror thread starter macrumors newbie

abominablerror

Oh awesome! I've read up a lot about it, and some have said it gets really really really hot. How does the 2.2 GHz work for you? I know nothing about processor speeds or any of that, so I kind of just have to go by what I'm told.

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

I don't think you'll notice much difference between the 2.2 and the 2.4 Ghz. The only limiting factor for me is that I game a lot and the nVidia is much better when gaming, but that won't be a problem since you don't game much.

That said, my MacBook is much better than my family's 2.0 Ghz 17" iMac at gaming.

The only problem with the older MacBooks is that online videos like YouTube can get the temps up to 160 F and the fans go at least 4000 RPM so there is some noise but it's not bad. The newer ones perform much better at this.

And I agree that the black MacBooks look very nice. I wish the new ones had a black aluminum option...

I'm a freshman in college and it can do anything that I need to. Some classes require windows so I used Bootcamp and it was very easy to set up and runs great.

5. abominablerror thread starter macrumors newbie

abominablerror

That's awesome!

How do you think the resell value will be in a year? They're selling like crazy on ebay right now, hopefully that trend will keep up in case Apple comes out with something epic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who needs the 'latest and greatest' but I'd rather replace something before college then worry about it during college.

Also, I've heard a lot about crack issues with the plastic. Has this affected you at all?

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have an early 2008 black macbook. no issues of cracks or any hardware problems. The graphics card is good enough for general work. Not so good for gaming. Usually its not that hot surfing the web writing papers ect. burn or decode a dvd and it does get pretty hot.

Aluminum macbook ok for light gaming. only have had it for a few days so cant comment much. Only games ive played were diablo 2 and warcraft 3. I think it will handle starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they are released wich is all i really care about. Only issue ive had so far is the aluminum interferes with the wireless occasionally. it works, just not as strong of a signal.

keep in mind they updated the plastic whitebook with the same new nvidia graphics that the aluminum has but at a much lower price point. if this new whitebook is 999 then getting it used would be ideal. it will just take some time for the new models to funnel into all the chains.

7. Cboss macrumors 6502

I've never tried to sell a Mac before but I think they generally keep their value as long as you take good care of them.

I've never had any issues with cracking and don't know anyone who has personally. I've heard about it on these forums, but people generally don't post much unless they have problems so I wouldn't worry about it much. A few months ago my blackbook was dropped onto concrete from about 6 feet up and it wasn't damaged at all, to my relief. It was in a laptop sleeve at the time but I was still impressed as it looked like a hard drop.

Just don't go dropping it on the floor or slamming it down and you'll be fine. :)

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think my 2.2 blackbook is awesome. I wish I would have got the 2.4 though, just for good measure. I'm sure it would affect resale value too. I upped the hdd to 250 from 160. I think the 2.4 comes with a 250. Again about the higher end; I wish I'd got the 2.0 Mac mini instead of my 1.83. It does everything... and it is upgradeable... but I just pushed the wrong button (the cheap button:eek:)

9. abominablerror thread starter macrumors newbie

abominablerror

If only I didn't loose my debit card. :(

When buying from the Apple site, I see they have a monthly payment plan, do you have to qualify for this or something or is it automatically given?

AAaaannnnddd, would I be able to upgrade to iLife 09 with a refurb blackbook purchase?