Refurb Store Macbook Pro Mystery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KPJLK, Oct 21, 2008.

1. KPJLK macrumors member

Several weeks back I was looking at a Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 15.4" listed in the UK Apple refurb store at £1,299. It seemed like a good deal but I decided to wait to see what the new machines were like, so I just bookmarked the page to keep tabs on it. Eventually it sold out and was removed from the store list, but the page still exists because I can access it via the bookmark, and what's more it has been changed to show a price of £949 (though still out of stock).

Does anyone think this suggests Apple are preparing to make more of this model available at the lower price? Or is the retention of the page in the database and the apparent revision of the price some quirks of the store administration?

A Penryn Macbook Pro for under £1000 seems too good to be true. . .

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Since they are refurbs they will go in and out of stock as Apple has more of them to refurb. The price went down because the new models are now out. Just be patient and some should show up again.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I agree. Check back every few days and it will most likely return to stock.

4. KPJLK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I will follow your advice and wait. My dilemma was that I had found a pretty good deal (£1165) from a discount warehouse, and couldn't decide whether to grab it or hold on for an even better one from Apple that might never materialise. But I just checked the US store and it is selling the 2.5Ghz model at a 41% reduction, a drop which corresponds almost exactly with the £949 price on the phantom page on the UK site. So I guess it's real, and I'll keep checking until it goes live again. . .

5. minijon macrumors member

The refurbs are good as new. They even have the same warranty. And yes, the pricing/availability changes as different models come and go. Just be sure you figure out which product it actually is, and what generation its from, just so you know what it is that you are actually ordering.

6. tonhe macrumors newbie

even so i got mine from the us apple store.. it seems funny that I'm seeing the same thing here, altho, the one I bought had issues with it, and now i'm stuck in a dilemma of my own... (see other thread)