Refurb Time Capsule, New?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marioman38, Jun 10, 2009.

1. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Is the Refurb 500GB Time Capsule on apples site the new "Dual Band" one? Or the older Uni-band? Excuse my stupidity if its obvious.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Older model, pre-dual band, according to the refurb model number FB276LL/A. Apple has to change the model number when an item becomes refurbished -- they changed the 'M' to an 'F'.

3. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Okay thanks. Any thread or info on weather I need the dual band? I've got an Express "g" router now, but my Macbook has "n". All computers in the house have "n" except the G5 iMac, which sits next to the router.

Edit: I think I understand this "Dual Band" stuff. Essentially I set the Time capsule to "n" only, and plug in the airport express through ethernet as "b/g" and create my own "Dual Band" network?

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes, you could do exactly that (I have, and it works well). The other thing the newer TC model adds is that you can create a "guest" network on it so that someone doesn't need a password, but then has only internet access. If that's useful to you, then you may want to may more (check macrumors for a description of the other added features--the guest one was the one that interested me, although the tri-band got a lot of others).

5. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Meh, I'm not that paranoid, I just tell 'em the password, I'm only concerned about wardrivers, and uninvited neighbors.

With the custom 2 router method allow the Time Capsule to be Password protected, and the Airport to be essentially "internet only" and its own guest network with a different pass? Say, "guest" haha.