refurb upgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by migsev, Jan 22, 2008.

1. migsev macrumors regular

simple question here...can you get any upgrades included if you buy a refurbished mac? getting a refurb mbp would save me around $400, which is enough for apple care. i'd want a bigger HD though, and apparently installing it myself would void my warranty, unlike the macbook.

:confused:

2. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Nope. You get it the way it is. I believe you can go to an Apple store and ask them to upgrade the HDD and they will do it for a price.

3. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

Doubt it - but if something goes wrong after you've installed say a new hard drive you can easily whip it it out! Who's to know?

4. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

would it cost the same as if i was buying a hard drive for a brand new one? (200gb 7200rpm @ $200?)

what if i buy a hard drive thats 320gb and get them to install it?

5. ccwilli3 macrumors member

lots of refurbs come with 'silent' upgrades. Meaning more ram than advertised, bigger hard drives, superdrives instead of combo drives, etc...

6. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

is there any way to tell, or is it all luck if you get an upgraded one? haha!

7. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Apple sent me an upgraded refurb. I didn't know until I opened the box.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It's pure luck. It's cool if you get the bonus, but don't count on getting one, and don't be pissed if you don't. My refurb didn't come with a bonus, but the computer arrived in awesome condition and was exactly what I ordered, so there was no cause for complaint.

9. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Well I hope my new refurb'd iMac comes with a few unexpected extras, of course I'm not banking on it, but it would be a very nice surprise indeed :)