REfurb vs. clearance. Trying to convince dad that a MacBook is needed.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by a-fine-mess, Nov 20, 2008.

1. a-fine-mess macrumors newbie

Hey!

Ok, so I've looked around threads and stuff and decided I should ask this question. I was chatting with an Apple person last night but they weren't very helpful.

Moving on.

Ok so I've got a PC. It works pretty well having just turned a fabulous three years old. However I am a journalism/media student and I prefer Macs over PCs. I have been mentioning them to my father who doesn't seem to thrilled by them or their price tags. I don't need a MacBook Pro, not to mention the price tag of even a refurb MacBook Pro would give my dad a heart attack. So MacBook it is. I love the new ones, however I need a firewire port in order to use the internet so obviously the new ones are out.

I have been stalking the online store. Either I go the route of student discount ($949) for the current white 2.1 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 Memory 120GB hard drive1 Intel GMA X3100 graphic they have, a refurb at the same price, or a black 2.4 GHz clearance that I really want, for $1,199.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions, opinions, etc?

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Internet over firewire? Are you serious? Get a wireless router or at the least something to use the internet over ethernet. Then buy the new Aluminum 2GHz MB for 1250 plus a $100 printer for free and enjoy it.

3. a-fine-mess thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it sucks. I had no idea that I needed an ethernet cord, got to school and had to buy one. The internet here is really fickle and in all honesty I don't like to mess with it. I'm lucky if it's functioning at all.

I really want to new MacBook but I really, really, really, really doubt I can get my dad to swing for it. I'm trying to find something he will go for because he's the one buying it. I mean if he won't go for it I'm hoping I can just work a lot this summer and get him to match me for half or something.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go for the black refurb! Much easier to take care of than the white. Here's the selling points for the refurb part:

1. It performs and looks like new
    2. You get the same one-year warranty as new
    3. The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    4. It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    5. It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    6. It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
    7. It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
    8. It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    9. It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock
    10. You get a savings several times that of any coupon or promo code (not that they can be found anymore...)

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple’s Finished Goods testing procedures.

Good luck!

5. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Eh? Ethernet is not FireWire???????:confused:

Are you getting ethernet and FireWire confused? Internt over FW would be unusual to say the least!

6. dubej macrumors newbie

I agree with techound1. Refurbs are the way to go. I've always been satisfied with my Apple refurb purchases.

7. Consultant, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can get refurb MacBooks.

Does your dad like Obama?
    http://images.macnn.com/macnn/news/0811/potus-macuser-big1-10.jpg

We should have him in a Get a Mac ad. =)

Also in another journalism school:
    http://www.osirra.com/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=how do you like them apples.jpg

What's your school IT policy? Some schools recommends / requires Macs.

Internet over firewire is possible between Macs. But I think he's confusing it with Ethernet (which is used mostly to connect to networks or the internet).

8. Primus84 macrumors 6502

I'm aware it's possible, but it's unlikely! It's possible with Windows too!

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Get the new Alum MB. They have ethernet (which is what you need). They just don't have firewire.

10. a-fine-mess thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha no my father is quite the republican. My school doesn't require Macs they suggest them. We have two Mac labs, with the new iMacs and the older white ones. However there are classes in both labs and I wouldn't be able to access them until late at night and sometimes there are classes in the labs so a personal Mac is really needed.

That is currently the only real argument that I have. That and my brother needs a computer and he would be getting mine but eh.

I'm guessing a refurb alum is going to be a long time coming huh?

11. yojimbo1 macrumors member

Black refurb MB has been available for $1,049 lately (including right now)

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Black all the way. The whites have this weird issue with discoloration. I have 200 teachers using them, and about half have REAL issues with that. We figure it has to do with body chemistry, becasue we see that it's NOT dirty hands.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Anything has a "weird issue with discoloration" if you don't take steps to keep it from happening. White T-shirts, napkins, socks, cars - same thing applies.

Get this and forget about discoloration. My white MB is two years old and still has a gleaming white wrist rest, thanks to this.

14. spazit101 macrumors newbie

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The defects, such as cracked palmrests and discolored pamrests are history. My one year old (this black friday) macbook is still gleaming white with a few scuffs made by me. The palmrest is not cracked nor discolored. Just get the white ones, since you don't do heavy graphics work, which would still be usuable and doable with the Intel GMA.

16. timestoby macrumors 6502

get the whitebook and it doesnt have an issue with it turning yellow. anyway if you got a macbook youd most likely put some sort of clear film on it to protect it,anyway with black the keys will go glossy as the palm rest will if you dont put some protection on them,but you dont then it wont show as bad as the blackbook.

have you thought of getn a job to pay for a better one of ur choice??

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have had 2 Blackbooks and no problems with what you described and I don't baby mine at all. I do a 5 minute clean about once a week, but you should do that on any laptop regardless what they are made of.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

used on CL

You can buy applecare on any used mac, as long as you have a receipt (a bill of sale from owner to you wouldn't hurt either) or if apple determines the manufacture date was within one year.

If the owner has applecare, it is transferable.

Why not try used on craigslist, if you're looking at a whitebook?

19. a-fine-mess thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen people talk about getting them from Criagslist, however my dad would never go for that. The idea of a refurb bothers him, even though it's less expensive, because in his mind refurb = tons of problems and will be a headache of a new one. So getting one from somewhere that isn't even Apple wouldn't fly.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Would never suggest Craigslist, buy from a reputable outlet, preferably Apple. Agree completely with techound 1, who responded to your query with an exceptionally well argued post explaining why refurb is the way to go. I won't reiterate those arguments, but shall simply state my strong agreement with them all.

Cheers and good luck

21. a-fine-mess thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've decided to go with the Black 2.4.
    I'm not wild about the glassbooks looks and the whole aspect of being Rev A.

So BlackBook it is.
    I'm approaching my mother about it rather than my father with the ploy of it being my only Christmas gift (plus the fact I received nothing for my birthday this year). Maybe she'll swing for it. I'm really, really hoping there will be some sort of extra discount for Black Friday. I doubt it'll happen, but I can dream right?

Anyways thanks for the help/suggestions!

22. David G. macrumors 65816

I have a white MacBook that was made in the Feb 08 cycle and it has two cracks on the palmrest area. Please explain why this is so then.;)