Refurb vs New 13" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nullx86, Sep 17, 2009.

1. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Ok, Pros and Cons on this? I went on the Apple refurb store and they had one yesterday, now nothing under 1099USD which really bites. just wondering if i should bite the bullet and get a new one or get a refurb. Also, I went on two different computers from two different IPs around the same time two days ago, and the results were completely different, one showed mac minis and a few whitebooks and a black book, where the other computer shows nothing but unibodys and imacs and the rest. Is apple filtering the results on the refurb store? just thought it was fishy, but whatever. Also, apple care. Can I buy it after I get the MBP, and does it have to be within the 90 days of warranty? need info, thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Refurbs are great. Only difference is that it may have few scratches and finger prints and someone has booted it few times and it comes in a brown box instead of the white one.

3. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Scratches? I want my like new. damn it. And Apple just reassured me that the unibody case, barrety and magsafe are all brand new when they get refurb status. Is this hooey or not?

4. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

WTF? are you serious?

wow.

5. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

better then new. the quality control is much more strict.

6. MajorTCS macrumors regular

I have purchased 3 Refurbs in the last 30 days. MBP, 15",MB 13", and MBA. Each appeared BRAND new!!!!Each came in a WHITE (Unmarked) box. Not a scratch, not a dent. They are flawless. Maybe I'm lucky. Saved mucho $$$ and I am very pleased. The 13" and 15" were gifts for family. I got the prize, the MBA.

7. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Explain.

So basically its not going to come out being a turd? anyone here bought a refurb and had a success story/horror story?

Any scratches, dents, anything? Battery cycle info? Just making sure I'm not getting ripped. The Apple rep I talked to said refurbs come with 1 year AppleCare, that true? I thought it was only 90 days?

8. olisones macrumors regular

After buying my 24" iMac as a refurb, I will always buy refurbs from now on - they come as new with very strict quality control and you save a packet!!

Just my 2 cents.

9. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

alrighty, well I think ill go refurb. now I just gotta wait for a 13: mbp to show up :D

10. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

I have bought a uni body macbook and a mac pro both refurbed with out any flaws. If you set a brand new one and a refurbed next to each other on a table you wouldn't be able to tell you which is which. The only thing you dont get is a pretty box. :D

11. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

you might also note that you'll get a little less when you resell a refurb (assuming you disclose it was a refurb)....i think you can also tell a refurb by its serial number too.

12. TaterToT macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for some more to get in stock too.. They've been in stock the past week and the day before I was going to buy one they disappeared..

13. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

eh, thats fine, i dont plan on reselling it anytime soon

dont you steal mine :p

14. boston44 macrumors 6502

You have one year to purchase apple care from the day it is registered.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

More like 1 year from the "sale" date, which may not be the actual sale date unless you buy it directly from apple. Many people have purchased macs from resellers and found out that their warranties started when Apple shipped the machines to the reseller.

I think you'll get the same quality control with a refurb as with a new machine... which means spotty! I bought a refurb ipod from apple once and it was DOA. Even the most basic quality test would discover a dead hard drive. That being said, 4 out of the last 5 new macs I've bought have had issues out of the box. Sure apple, replaced or fixed everything, but it is really annoying to spend so much money and it comes defective.