refurb vs new 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondthimmes, Dec 17, 2010.

1. raymondthimmes macrumors member

So I am planning to purchase a new laptop soon. Preferably a 17" mbp.

I was pricing out a new vs. refurbed and the difference seems to be a considerable savings on the core i5 model? close to $420?

What is the main difference between the new and refurbed models? Is it just that it's not "fresh off the lot"?

thoughts? thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Or just returned by a consumer.

Some people believe you're better off with a refurb because they go through a more thorough examination, verification process to ensure they are not defective. Personally, I go with new, but I've not really heard of any complaints by people going the refurb route.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Only with Apple due to their warranty do I go rfb unless I really need to have it. Only one issue in about 10 orders, and Apple gave me a partial credit for my trouble so no complaints from me going rfb.

4. tasslehawf, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Since Apple is the only one that sells refurb (for the most part), but you always pay sales tax when you buy from Apple, you may get a better deal buying a new one from an online reseller (such as Amazon or MacConnection) than buying a refurb + tax.

Apple new: $2299 + $189.67 tax = $2488.67
    Apple refurb: $1869 + $154.19 tax = $2023.19
    Amazon: $2,097.44 + free 2 day shipping if you have Amazon Prime (or $4 next day)

MacConnection has some good deals on BTO configurations which you can only otherwise get from Apple.

AppleInsider has a comparison chart of Mac deals: http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

(I used Texas sales tax)