Refurb vs. new decision ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fordam, Jun 16, 2009.

1. fordam macrumors newbie

Looking to buy MBP- budget is nil - looking at new base 2.26 13" (Student disc $1,100 + free IPtouch) vs. Refurbished MBP Pro 2.4 15" 2GB memory 250GB HD ($1,350)
    Need for travel/relocation/school/search for work- and just need for long overdue upgrade and ability to load and learn new software (have PowerPC G4 Dual800 - was great mac, still runs beautifully- but...)
    Software I use:
    Photoshop- extensive use of- will run CS3 or 4 (some InDes, Ill.) (can't in current sys.- now using PS7)
    FinaCutPro- some use- maybe more so in future
    Flash- maybe will use in future
    3D program- maybe in future (though figure will have to get MP 8core [and $'s] )
    Lean towards refurb because of dedicated gpu card (which I see they took out of new base 15"- so is it not important for "Pro" use?)
    Lean towards new 13" because less$ and 8GB RAM option (vs 4GB for refurb 15")- not sure longer battery life matters to me as never have had laptop- figure wont be in wilderness and can just plug into nearest wall (as I see many people do) (or buy back-up battery if get the refurb 15"). Also wonder if new will last longer than refurb.

A lot to read through- sorry.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I don't know about 3d programs in OS X but 3dsmax works fine for me and 3d games work fine for me too, that is in Windows.

Don't forget that you can get a free $100 printer (Canon, it's not that bad, I actually got it) as well as the free iTouch with the college deal thing.

Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop I have no problem using.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This is true but you're paying a lot of money upfront. Here's a refurb model in his price range with a 15" screen and dedicated graphic card. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA Refurbs come with the same standard warranty and you can buy Apple Care if you feel like you need to.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would kill myself if I had to use Flash on the 13". Flash needs a huge resolution to not be super annoying. I still find it annoying on a 24" with a second monitor.

considering the programs youre using the higher resolution of the 15" will save you a lot of frustration