Refurb vs new Denon DHT-S514 Soundbar?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bluedoggiant, May 27, 2015.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

hey guys,

I am on the market for a sound bar mainly for music, so thats the most important aspect, and I am trying to be somewhat economical with my choice.

I am pretty much sold on the Denon DHT-S514 bar.

Amazon has a sweet deal where you can get it for $499 new (usually 599) or refurb for 399.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXXSI9I/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=64674176712&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&h vrand=12548261718490308265&hvpone=499.00&hvptwo=&h vqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_10vjvcicxh_b

Trying to save a buck, does anyone have any qualms buying a refurbished speaker? I've never purchased anything secondhand before lol.

2. Bananas Ananas macrumors member

Bananas Ananas

Personally I'd go for refurb. It's unlikely that you would notice difference when comparing side by side with a new unit.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Doubt I would.

I am just concerned about the reliability of a refurb unit, and whether anyone has done this with speakers or from amazon in general.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I haven't bought a refurb on amazon, but I do often buy their "warehouse deals" products, which are essentially just open box returns. I haven't had any major issues, and the one time there was an issue it was free and easy to return the item.

5. phrehdd, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am curious why you opt for a sound bar as opposed to the conventional 2 separate speakers if music is your main interest. Given that the tweeters are reasonable size, the mid/bass size speakers sit on the small side. This means that the sub would have to extend upwards to overlap the bottom of those mid/bass sound bar speakers and become directional at some level.

If you are insistent on this particular item, perhaps the refurb would be good IF* it has a reasonable return policy if you are unhappy. - Similar if you opt for a new box.

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Go to your magnolia section in the local best buy store and you'll know why, especially given the price.