Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heesey1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
OK so I've finally decided on the fact that I'll be going a desktop + netbook route, especially because I'm fairly certain that I'll be getting a MacBook Pro in two years from now. I've been missing Mac since September of last year when it died of an unexpected motherboard failure and I stupidly decided to let my dad just get me a new "filler" computer (some HP notebook that was in-between a netbook and a full-fledged notebook) instead of me just ponying up $300 for a logic board replacement (didn't have AppleCare)

Anyway, my question is whether or not I should get a refurb Mac Mini (the $589 version, 4GB RAM, 320gig hard drive) or opt for a new one? You might instantly think the refurb one because it's much cheaper and better spec'ed. But I have $125 in Amazon gift cards and the Mini right now is $669...so I'd essentially knock it down to about $540. I would get a RAM upgrade later in the year, and I would have to get a monitor and a webcam.

I'll take any other suggestions, including just keeping my current notebook + netbook situation, or even returning the netbook.

Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Can't you still ask Apple to replace the logic board? That would be the cheapest route and then dump your HP. If you have dumped that MacBook already, sell the HP and grab a refurb MacBook or jump for MBP if you can.

I bought iMac because I though I don't need portability. In fact, usually I don't but sometimes I do, so now I'm stuck with 3 year old Acer taking its last breaths, so if I could choose again, I would get 13" MBP and ext monitor, possibly a desktop PC for the hard work (would serve as server)

heesey1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
That's a good point, I still could ask them to replace the logic board. I should've added that along with the Logic Board failure, there are two other (maybe three) pressing matters:

• Battery bulge --> new battery, about $100 (yes I know I can eBay)
  • RAM upgrade
  • GMA 950 in these ages? Really? Yes I know I have a netbook but still...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That's a good point, I still could ask them to replace the logic board. I should've added that along with the Logic Board failure, there are two other (maybe three) pressing matters:

• Battery bulge --> new battery, about $100 (yes I know I can eBay)
  • RAM upgrade
  • GMA 950 in these ages? Really? Yes I know I have a netbook but still...

Hmm, good point. GMA 950 is okay for normal tasks but RAM and battery upgrade would drive the cost too much. Have you thought about selling it for parts? You might get couple hundreds from it. Then sell your HP and you can already get 13" MBP, much better than having too temporary computers

heesey1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I've thought about selling it for parts, just thought it might be a hassle...but I guess it's better to get some money than no money lol.

optophobia: the refurb is for the previous generation. $669 for the Mac Mini on Amazon is for the NEW 2010 Mac Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.