Refurb vs new MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dball4, May 30, 2010.

1. dball4 macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy my first Mac and I'm a college student. My current laptop which was provided to me by my university is falling apart. It's a Dell latitude from about 2 years ago. I do tech support for my university so I plan on putting windows 7 and Ubuntu on it as well. So my question is should I buy the refurb at$759 or a new MB? I was looking at the pro's and at this moment I decided against it. The only 2 modern games I play are Hearts of Iron 3 and the sims 3. I'm assuming both would play ok. What is your advice on what I should do? I can buy the refurb now or I can wait until my first paycheck to come in later in June to buy a new or wait until August and buy a MBP. So basically I am asking for your advice.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you're affiliated with a university you can take advantage of the Back to School promotion. It gives you the education discount on the MB and a rebate good for up to $200 on an iPod touch. Seems like that would make financial sense. Refurbs aren't eligible for the BTS promotion.

3. dball4 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need the iPod touch since I already have one and an ipad. After taxes the education discount isn't worth it as much sure it saves me $50 but after taxes it will still be over $1000. The real question is if the upgraded specs are worth it? The battery life is not important since it will be plugged in when I'm not in class.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK.. but there's no reason why you can't flog it on fleaBay, or in the market section of this site. No harm making some revenue from a gift.

5. dball4 thread starter macrumors regular

I could do that but then I have to wait for a rebate and that is more than I really wanted to spend.