Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnellierun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Hi, all. I've been out of the Mac buying game for quite some time. I'd love to purchase an Air. Any reason I should go with a Refurb vs the New Air? Seems the Apple refurbs aren't priced low enough for me to feel like I'm really getting a deal. Are there other trustworthy places to purchase a refurb?

Additional info: Looking for something mostly for work - almost 100% cloud based - checking emails, working in Google Drive. Some streaming of YouTube videos and maybe Spotify. That's about it. I think I'd like the 11", though it seems I can get a better deal on a 13".

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm clueless. If there's another thread that answers my questions, please direct me. Thanks!

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Well, any Mac notebook built in the last seven years can do the tasks you are planning including all iPad models, so it's not like you need a special hardware configuration.

I wouldn't trust any source other than the Apple Store (online) for a refurb. They replace the case, battery, and if necessary the screen and perform a thorough test before selling the refurb which has the same 1-year manufacturer's warranty as any retail box Mac.

So buy what suits your fancy and budget.

Good luck.

cnellierun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Well, any Mac notebook built in the last seven years can do the tasks you are planning including all iPad models, so it's not like you need a special hardware configuration.

I wouldn't trust any source other than the Apple Store (online) for a refurb. They replace the case, battery, and if necessary the screen and perform a thorough test before selling the refurb which has the same 1-year manufacturer's warranty as any retail box Mac.

So buy what suits your fancy and budget.

Good luck.

Thanks, Bart. What's the better buy for longevity, more RAM or more FLASH storage? I'm looking at the March 2015 refurbs on Apple's website. Sounds like you're saying it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
The operating system and programs tend to require more memory and disk space over time, but since your usage case doesn't include storing data or accumulating local media files, you might consider more RAM.

Not that it really matters for your usage case.

Heck, some wimpy $200 Chromebook can probably do all the tasks you mentioned.

Reactions: cnellierun

cnellierun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
If I could text people from my computer, I would absolutely be considering a Chromebook. Thank you for your help!

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Thanks, Bart. What's the better buy for longevity, more RAM or more FLASH storage? I'm looking at the March 2015 refurbs on Apple's website. Sounds like you're saying it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask.

In the 2015 MBA you can upgrade the SSD. It's a PCIe SSD that you can get from macsales. I already ordered one for my MBA.

Reactions: cnellierun

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
My older daughter has a 2011 13-in MBA, 4GB. Came with 256GB disk, which I upgraded to 480GB from Macsales. Runs 10.12.5. For light use (web/netflix/messaging) 4GB seems to work fine. She likes to keep her movie collection local. If I were getting one now I would want 8GB RAM. We've bought Apple refurbs in the past, and they worked great for years. Some returns are better deals than others. Net: set a budget and get one. Almost anything you can get will work for your use case.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
All my macs have been refurbs, no problems with any of them: white MacBook, mac mini server and now the 11" MacBook Air.

The white MacBook still works... (barely, the battery is toast and I think the dvd drive is too)

I feel more confident buying a refurb. I know it's been given a thorough testing, and it's most likely just a return due to Apple's return policy. Any other company I'd be very concerned with buying a refurb.

They are actually nicer now, they come in a fancy box that's similar in quality to a new mac... you get a similar "unboxing" experience. They used to come in a nondescript cardboard box.

Reactions: Macintoshrumors

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Normally I would say refurb, but in this case I say new because new MBAs are consistently priced lower than refurbs in major sales. It sounds like your work will go fine with a 2015 MBP with the 1.6 GHz i5 (this is the original 2015 release.) If you can get by with a base model, pricing under $800 is still pretty easy to find.

For example, here's one for $800. It's a good value at that price, but I've seen this model on sale for quite a bit less.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...-flash-storage-silver/6443034.p?skuId=6443034

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
Check eBay for used MBA. I got my early 2015, 8 gb ram and 250 gb memory from eBay with only 8 battery cycles for $750 + shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ffosse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.