Refurb vs. New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtay, Apr 23, 2010.

1. rtay macrumors regular

I am looking to get a new MBP to supplement my ipad, but cant decide whether i should go the refurb route. The only thing i do on my laptop is write papers, make some powerpoints, download music, and sometimes rip dvds. Would i notice the difference between 2 & 4 gbs of ram? and would i notice the difference between the 2.0 ghz processor and any higher processor? Thanks for any help. here is the refurb i am thinking of getting. http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FB466LL/A?mco=MTA4MzIyODg

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Normally refurbs are great, but the new i5s are a fairly significant processor upgrade. This years low end beats last year high end so I don't think refurbs are a smart buy right now.

I'm assuming you are talking about the 15". If you are talking about the 13" you can get a new one (prev. model) at MicroCenter for $999.

3. rtay thread starter macrumors regular

my student discount gets me a new one at 1,099, so this would save me a little over $200. I might just go with the new ones then it sounds like, im not going for the 15 inch cause its too expensive for what i would do with it.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

same here. the previous mpb starts at 950 for me at my school :p