Refurb vs. new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thechidz, Nov 5, 2007.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

has anyone experienced less service from apple with a refurb product over new? Im just wondering if the extro 100$ is worth it if they tend to service the new products better than the refurbs...? thanks

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

surely the refurbs wont be 2.2 with santa rosa and with the new graphics so the extra money will be worth it.

3. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

Im looking at the refurb MBP vs. the new MBP with edu discount ($100 price difference but exact same machine I think)

4. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I was just wondering this today. I was looking at a reconditioned 17" 2.4 MBP, and though hmmmmm, is it worth it? Or will it just be a headache?

5. djarum69 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a BlackBook Refurb today for a 36% savings over the newer version (Apple appears to be blowing out the old stock at substantial savings). I have previously purchased a Mac Pro Refurb, and have seen no differences in quality or service. I recently had to call Apple support, for the first time in 20 years of Apple ownership, and had no problem getting them to replace my video card that is overheating and causing artifacts. New one is going to be mailed to me.

The Refurb program has been nothing but up-side for me. I do tend to wait until a speed bump model comes out and snap up the old stock. The savings then are significant.

6. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

the point is now moot for me because I signed up for the student ADC program and will be getting a discount on the new MBP. I guess the thousands I spend on tuition will save me a few hundred there...:rolleyes::eek::(

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

My friend picked up a Core Duo Macbook Pro from refurb. Yes I know thats old but it was cheap! 900€!! But it came in top condition and no problems with it at all!
    I say go for it tbh. :)

8. avincent52 macrumors regular

refurbs

I bought all of my mac gear as refurbs--a G3 Ibook, a g4 Imac, and a 30g I pod. Been happy with all of them in general.
    One thing--the batteries on the laptop and the ipod didn't last long. The original battery on the ibook lasted a little more than a year. The replacement is four years old and still going strong.
    Unless it's a killer deal that's something to consider
    allen

9. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Apple Cinema Displays

Has anyone ever bought a Referbed display from apple? the price is $700 off list for a 20 inch aluminum. Wonder if it is worth it? Can you hook these up to a dell crap box w/ sub 128mb graphics? :eek:

10. JTag macrumors newbie

Buy Refurb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a refurbished Macbook and I have no problems with it. It is definitely worth the savings. Technically, there should be less problems with it since it has been inspected again and it also comes with the same warranty as a new product.

11. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Just to balance things out ... :)

I only ever bought one thing refurbished (a 23" ACD), and it was the *worst* experience.

The product (remember this is over a thousand bucks worth of monitor), arrived in a partially crushed old cardboard box with loose blocks of foam inside, it was missing some trivial things (manuals, stickers, etc.), was a bit scratched on the back and absolutely filthy with dust and smears all over. It also had a dead pixel. This is no exaggeration either, I took un-boxing pictures to prove it and sent them along to Apple at the time.

So all that stuff on the web site about how the QA people "check the refurbished stuff even more than the original stuff" (paraphrased), is definitely not true. The clear implication they also give that the product will be repacked in the original packing materials is also quite false.

Worst of all, Apple refused to even let me complain unless I did it by telephone only. Since that wasn't an option for me at the time they basically did nothing at all and didn't want to hear from me about the problems (which I only skimmed over here) I had by email or snail mail.

I actually felt kind of cheated.
    Never again. :(

12. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Where did you buy it from? I have not seen a black one go for anything more than 20% off. :eek:

13. sportsnut macrumors regular

They don't stay on the site long. ;)

You have to check between 4AM and 5AM EST Tu-Sat

14. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

well, since I just found out about student ADC discount, Ive decided to keep my MB for the time being and load the free leopard that I will get onto it. After macworld in January I will use my discount to get my dreambook with a huge savings (ie. over 600 bucks for a 2.6 mbp with HD screen, depending on what comes out in macworld)

I will have to sell both of my computers to be able to afford it, good thing apple has high resale:apple::apple::apple::apple:

I just want that MBP now so badly thoughLOL :eek:

15. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

that sucks. :(
    I am starting to believe that buying a used moniter is not a good idea. I have been looking at this moniter for $249 that looks like it is the cheapest deal for a good "small" moniter. All tilt panel displays seem crappy unless they are ACDs.

16. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

i am waiting sooo badly to get a new MBP in january when they come out. WHy cant january come already??

17. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I just bought an 17in macbook pro the 2.33ghz model. It was alot cheaper than the 2.4. I think it was well worth it, altough it didnt come with the stickers or the fancy box but it did come in perfect condition. Oh and with no problems so far.