Refurb vs New

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wishsong, May 16, 2009.

1. Wishsong macrumors regular

I'm planning on getting an ipod touch 8gb, and the apple store has the 2g refurb for $180 while the new on amazon is $218. Refurb or New?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Refurb has the same warranty status as newly manufactured items. I haven't heard of anyone getting a refurb lemon so your chances are good that you'll have a perfectly functional iPod touch when you go the refurbished route.

3. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more worried about the lasting of the touch, I know it'll come looking brand new, but the inside of the touch will be used (except the battery). I don't want to have to buy another like 5 months after I buy it.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

All they reuse over to the refurbs from the old iPods is the screen. If you're that worried, get AppleCare, which will give you 3 years of peace of mind that you'll have a working iPod touch.

5. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

6. 184550 Guest

If you aren't in a rush to pick one up, wait until September when the 3rd generation comes out. Perhaps you'd be able to pick up a 16 gig at the current 8 gig price point new. (Assuming of course they do away with the 8 gig and go with 16/32/64 gig models.)

If you don't want to wait then I would buy new just so you have that extra peace of mind. I've always heard that Apple refurb is great but I prefer things to brand new.

7. DAM-Photography macrumors member

I would have to say the refurb products are def like new. My company sells 1100 refurb ipods weekly and our return rate on them is under 2%. Granted the refurbs aren't done by apple themselves. You might get a couple scuffs on the back, but the units are phenomenal.

8. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

I'll probably get one mid june or early july... Any idea if there will be an announcement for the 3rd gen?