Refurb with ssd vs i5/i7 mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by osxabsd, Apr 15, 2010.

1. osxabsd macrumors member

There are some refurb 15 mpds available with 256G SSDs. Any opinions on buying these instead of the latest i5/i7 mpbs? The price is a few hundred dollars less, and presumably the overall speed of the systems may be comparable with an i5/i7 with a 7200 rpm drive. Of course other issues may come into play in the decision.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Upgrading your hard drive is easy, upgrading your processor... not so much.

If you don't think you'll ever need the space, it might be worth it. But, if you are going to need more space, the price of SSDs should logically begin to drop.

3. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

The SSDs that apple uses are slow and overpriced, instead of looking at a MBP with an SSD, look for a refurb or a used one without the SSD, and then figure out how much the SSD you want would cost and redo the math.

You could buy a new MBP, if you are like me and it bothers you not having i5 or something silly like that, or if you don't care, just go with the older one and stick whatever parts you want into it. It's your money, depends on what you want to use it for. Unless you are a pro video editor or do really specialized tasks for your job EVERYDAY, then don't get the new MBP.

Making a movie and mixing a song doesn't warrant spending 400 more on the newest MBP lol.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. swamesp macrumors regular

Enrolling to this thread...

I'm in the same boat.... I feel C2D would cater my needs but thinking if C2D would be a worth investment.

13" base model with SSD or i5 base model with HDD...???

My work is surfing, listening songs, recording live music (some editing down the line) and light photography editing.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The C2D will do you just fine, as will saving some moola by being able to pick one up as a refurb.

7. swamesp macrumors regular

I saw that the price difference between refurbished and new model with 4GB RAM is not favoring the refurbs....

8. mac4me123 macrumors newbie

Just dont buy ram from apple not worth it, like said before i would look for a refurb

9. swamesp macrumors regular

No, the new models come with 4GB by default which could be bought for $1099(2.4Ghz model after MIR) and refurbished is $1189(2.53Ghz and 4GB).

I'm leaning towards the new model than the refurb....