Refurb'd macbook pro q....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jason123, May 3, 2008.

1. jason123 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I think i am finally going to be purchasing a MBP soon. I was looking online on the apple refurb store at the MBP with 2.2ghz and I am pretty sure that is the one with the Santa Rosa chipset. I know that now the MBP have Penryns in them, but is it really worth shelling out an extra $500 for a mere .2ghz upgrade? Also, glossy or matte?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA895LL/A

Thanks a ton for help,
    Jason

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. jason123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, but is the new chipset much more energy efficient or anything like it is claimed to be?

Also, does anyone know if the mbp I linked is led-backlit

Thanks for quick response

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

it's not just the .2GHz, it's also the extra hard drive space and double the GFX memory.

The Penryn is much more energy efficient than the SR model and it gives you even more (slightly underclocked as some say) GFX memory. And multi-touch which is not as gimmicky as "cover flow" in the finder.

I don't think the book you linked to is LED backlit.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

all 15" SR macbook pro models are, indeed, led backlit.

6. jason123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i dont think getting 128mb more vram is worth 500dollars....

As long as this refurb'd mbp is led-backlit, is there really any reason not to get it?

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Oh....!

Not if you think 128MB of VRAM and better hardware isn't worth it. Get the book and you're good to go.

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'd say get the refurb MBP 2.2 now... it's probably more than $500 difference if you look. I just got one (the 2.2ghz, 120mb, 128vid, matte screen) for $1449.00 shipped, and am liking it a lot, as well as the money I didn't spend. For the price of a black macbook, how can you beat it?

I looked it over really closely, perfect screen, putting it through serious burn-in and use to see if anything breaks early, but so far so good.

Definitely led backlit display - very happy with the matte selection, which is what I recommend. The glossy would drive me nuts on a laptop with all the variations in enviroment I find myself in.

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ive said it before and Ill say it again...

apple store refurbs are the best deal around....

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Thats a great deal, you should go ahead on that deal!!

Only thing the penryn has over the merom is SSE4.1 instruction sets, I've owned the 2.4Ghz mbp merom before and the penryn does indeed run alot cooler but the merom ran pretty cool not extremely hot or anything especially clocked at 2.2Ghz you should be fine and the multitouch trackpad (which I do love but before the multitouch I used the delete key to go back a page and shift + delete key to go foward for short cuts).

11. steeler macrumors regular

I just picked up a 2.4 GHz Santa Rosa 15" MBP from the Apple refurb store a couple weeks ago. I love it. I can't compare to the Penryn model (haven't used them), but I'm happy to have saved a lot of cash. It was $1649 + tax.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not to mention the Peryn machines and Meroms are essentially the same except for the processor and bus.

I wouldn't pay $500 for the difference.

13. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

I was going thru the motions on this about a month back.

Went with a base Penryn. Why?

1) It's new
    2) Cooler/longer battery life
    3) Faster processor, even if architectually there is little diff, it is 2.4 vs 2.2.
    4) More hd space. For me, 120 Gb is fairly close for comfort, for my needs. Sure, you can upgrade the drive without too much fuss, but 200 will likely suffice for the next few years, again for my needs. So this was a cost for me figuring I'd be much more likely to upgrade over the life of the machine.
    5) Twice the vram. Big deal, eh, not really.
    6) Multi-touch. Not a big deal, for now. Maybe some cool stuff down the road though?
    7) Price differential only **$260**. $1820 at MacConnection total (that includes a rebate and no shipping/tax) for base Penryn vs. $1560 refurb (incl tax).

Now as the poster above me mentioned, $500 differential, it would have definitely shifted me into thinking more toward the refurb. But at _half_ that cost it was a no-brainer. The harddrive issue was worth about $100 to me. The speed, eh another $100. The battery lifetime/heat issue though, at least a couple hundred :) And then it's new...

14. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

The MBP in the link has LED based backlighting.

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Pretty much the same reasons I went with it too. Vram is important if you are doing anything media related, so if you aren't doing them, then yeah, spending money on it is not worth it. Multi-touch was a gimmick until it started working with Aperture, now it's a real nice tool

512MB VRAM for basic use and extended desktop? YES
    HDD space for HD footage and photo library? YES
    Better battery life? YES
    Cooler machine? YES

All worth $500 if you have it.