Refurbed 2.5ghz MBP or Be Patient For MB Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by greghearle, Sep 22, 2008.

1. greghearle macrumors newbie

I've been slowly saving up for a Mac for just over a year now and now that I've finally got enough money for a Macbook, I am waiting for an update on the current design.

However, recently I played C.O.D. (i think it was III, the latest one though) on a PC and the gameplay was like nothing i'd ever played before, and when I noticed that the MacBook has an integrated graphics chip, I wondered whether paying out for a full-spec macbook would be a particularly sensible idea...

Earlier today I looked on Apple Store UK Refurbs, and a MBP (15in 2.5ghz 250(i think)gb hard drive, 2gb RAM and 512mb dedicated graphics for about £1200) caught my eye...are the new updates on the macbook going to be substantial enough to better the deal on the Pro?

I'm going to be using my Mac mainly for college work... Sibelius, Garageband, but maybe a bit of gaming...

cheers...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Rest assured the new MacBook will not have a 512MB dedicated graphics card. However, the current ones are able to play COD thus I see no reason why any new models would not support it.

4. macDonalds macrumors 6502

If you want to do gaming then your best bet is MBP. But it doesn't sound as if you're hardcore, so it's a tough call here.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your mileage may vary with Macbook Intel GMA gaming. Personally I'm not fond of its sluggishness with even older games and Very Low/Low settings.

6. greghearle thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone had any experience with stuff like the elgato eyetv? could i stick an XBox 360 or something like that into my MB Display??

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't waste your money on trying to use the Elgato EyeTV pass through for gaming. The delay is too great.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Refurbs are always worth it. Well Apple refurbs specifically.